17. Little Bean

"The internet says it's normal at early stages of pregnancy so we have nothing to worry about. Let's just schedule a check-up for you next week. Don't worry, Maeve will be born into this world." He comforted me. I sighed and nodded. I cried a lot and I don't know why. I just like crying these days.

"I am sorry for making you panic. I am just worried about our child. It's my first time experiencing pregnancy." I sincerely apologized and hugged him tight. He hugged me back and kissed the top of my head. "I am really sorry. I am just not used to this."

"It's okay, I understand you because this is your first time, and this is my first time to take care of a pregnant woman too. Let's just work together in this. I'll stay with you." He promised and stroked some strands of my hair. I felt fear again, thinking he will break that promise.

"You'll stay with me?" I asked.

"I will always stay with you no matter what. During your highest and lowest. During your best and worst. I will always be with you. Now, and forever." I suddenly felt a different kind of euphoria, solace. He can tell me that as many times as he wants and I will never get tired of listening to it.

~ • ~

"Miss Leonhart." The nurse called. I stood up and Armin held my hand. He looks weird wearing a mask, a cap, and sunglasses in a hospital.

"You'll come with me, idiot. Stand up, don't you want to see our little bean?" I asked. He stood up and we both entered the obstetrician-gynecologist's office. I was shocked when Armin removed his mask, sunglasses, and also his cap. The ob-gyne smiled at us and gestured us to sit, and so we did.

"Armin, does your Mom know about this already?" The doctor asked.

"No, Auntie. But we will tell her as soon as possible." Armin answered.

The doctor started to do some check-ups and I just go with the flow because I honestly don't know how this whole pregnancy thing works. I am a first-time Mom and I want to learn a lot more about it so I can be a great mother to my first child.

I am actually excited while doing what the doctor tells me. But what got me more thrilled was when she made me lie down on a bed and the back was a bit lifted so I can see what's on the screen, properly. Armin stood beside me and held my hand. The doctor lifted my shirt a bit and put a cold gel on my belly.

"It's cold." I said and the doctor smiled. Then she held a stick called 'transducer' and roamed it around my belly. I was smiling the whole time while looking at the stick move around.

"Why don't you look at the screen? What you'll see there will be the best thing you'll see today." The doctor said and smiled. I looked at the screen and my eyes watered as I look at the little bean. There's really a life growing inside me and I am so excited. More excited than when Armin asked me to be his girlfriend. This is far more majestic. The happiness is beyond words!

"What's the gender of our little bean?" Armin suddenly asked. He was also in awe. He looks cute when he looks happy and curious.

"Silly, Armin. Wait for a few more months and you'll see the gender of your little bean. I wouldn't be surprised if you'll buy baby girl things. You're such an excited little boy." The doctor answered. Armin kissed my forehead and looked back at the monitor.  "You actually don't look pregnant, Annie. Maybe because you are still on your first trimester. What symptoms did you feel?"