I. More- (Prologue: 1 Year Ago)

Clink!

A pretty, dark haired woman, in a lab coat and goggles, dropped the tweezer she was holding.

It echoed loudly in the huge, empty and dark laboratory which was filled with different medical instruments.

'Careful, now,' spoke a hoarse voice from the shadows. The dark haired lady turned around and smiled.

'Heradolos! I wasn't expecting you today!'

Heradolos came closer. She too was wearing a lab coat and gloves.

'Is it ready?' she asked, peeking over the other lady's shoulder.

'Should take about a week more,' said the dark haired woman, examining a petri dish which contained a dark blue substance with specks of gold.

'A week?!' exclaimed yet another voice and a woman with dark red hair came into view. She had cold eyes, and her lips were thin in a straight line. Heradolos shivered slightly.

'It has to be ready by tomorrow. They will be here to collect it,' she snapped.

'Natalie, it just won't be ready. It needs time to clone,' the dark- haired woman explained calmly.

Natalie let out a low growl.

'And for all it counts,' the dark haired woman continued,' I don't think I can trust them with this.'

'Exactly. We made this is for betterment of all mankind. If fallen into the wrong hands, it can be disastrous,' piped up Heradolos.

Natalie looked very angry.

'I need it by this Monday,' said Natalie firmly and made to go out.

'I'm sorry, I have plans with my daughter then,' said the pretty lady politely.

Natalie went rigid at the word 'daughter', as if it bought back painful memories to her. She swallowed.

'Tuesday, then,' she improvised. The other lady nodded and smiled, though the apprehension on her face was clear.

Natalie went to the door, her heels clicking on the marble floor. The eerie silence was creepy.

'Good-bye Natalie,' said the lady, smiling. Heradolos was looking relieved at Natalie leaving.

Natalie paused at the door, turned back and smiled. A mocking smile.

'Good- bye, Marianne,' she said, and left.

Marianne wasn't smiling any more.

6 months later

'It's not good,' wailed Heradolos desperately.

'Get a grip,' snapped Marianne, who was pacing around the room. Heradolos looked shocked. She couldn't remember the last time Marianne snapped at someone.

'I knew this was going to happen,' said Marianne, angrily, her fists balled.

Heradolos was ready for it.

'It's not your fault,' she said gently,' Natalie ruined everything.'

They both were back in the same laboratory, empty as ever. Heradolos was sitting on a swiveling chair, her hair in a bun like always and in a suit.

Marianne gazed sadly at the empty petri dish.

'we have to try,' she said, voice trembling. Heradolos paled.

'it's too dangerous,' she whispered.

'We can't risk innocent lives, Hera!' Marianne argued. Heradolos knew she was right.

'For COVID,' she said, shakily.

'For COVID,' Marianne repeated, determinedly.