10. Way

I quickly put on my favorite denim jacket and slipped a lollipop from under my bed in the pocket. Just in case, you know, and went down. Chase was already downstairs.

'OK, but just a quick walk and bring her straight back home,' I heard Dad telling Chase, as I came in the room which I consider a mixture of the lounge and kitchen.

Dad looked up from the chili curry he was making, and looked me straight in the eye and said,

'Don't take too long, I need to talk to you.'

I gulped. I need to talk to you...The scariest sentence ever! I wish he didn't tell me. Now, I would be worried the whole time. I nodded curtly, still a little upset with him for not telling me about what I was in danger of. I felt his suspicious gaze follow me till the front door. I waved goodbye and closed the door quickly, breathing a sigh of relief.

Determined not to think about what he wanted to talk to me about, I grabbed Chase's hand and led him to the park. I suddenly realized what I was doing, and quickly dropped it. He shuffled his feet awkwardly.

'So, what are you stressed about?' He asked me, his hands deep in his jeans pockets as we walked to the park, kicking stones on our way.

I didn't reply immediately as I thought about whether I should tell him about what I overheard, or not. I decided I would. I couldn't keep something this huge to myself.

'...and then Christina caught me!' I finished, and gasped for air, as I had just told him the entire thing in one breath.

He blinked at me.

And then let out a low whistle.

'Now that's some sketchy shit,' he said,' are you sure Mr. J isn't a spy?'

'Of course not!' I exclaimed, but I didn't sound so sure. Chase sensed it. He put his hand on my shoulder. I squirmed.

'Hey, I'm sure you're going to be safe; I mean you've taken karate!' He said reassuringly.

I laughed, but I said,

'I don't really mind that, weirdly enough. I'm just more hurt about the fact that he didn't tell me. Anything! I have no clue what's going on. But I think Mom did mention a 'Heradolos' once or twice.'

'Yeah, I wouldn't like being kept in the dark either,' he said thoughtfully, as we passed Mariam's cottage.

'Oh, that's where Mariam lives,' I showed him.

'Who's Maaryum?' He asked, confused. I told him about her.

He listened to me in silence, then blinked.

Then he said,

'ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FUCKING MIND?'

I stared at him startled, then Creature flared up.

'Why are you yelling?!' I said, furiously.

'Because you've been going to this crazy old woman who could murder you, all alone! Didn't you ever learn about strangers?! And she's a Muslim too! Terrorist...' he spat out.

I have never seen him this angry, except when we had a fight in 5th Grade over a cookie. OK, so it wasn't mine, but chocolate chip, dude!

'Hey! Have you ever even met her? Stop being a racist! She's not a terrorist, she's just a sweet old lady,' I shot back.

'Yeah, right, a sweet old lady who could murder you!' He said scathingly, and I felt my blood boil.

'So what if I die?' I said quietly, but the anger in my voice was unmistakable. I don't know where it was coming from, but I had my fists curled as I faced him.