11. Out

'Thanks, Dad, but I don't think so,' I told him. He frowned.

'Are you sure?' he began,' because the doctor said- '

'Yeah, I am,' I cut him. I don't know where the anger was coming from. For all it counts, I am not going to be talking about my personal life with some psycho stranger. He looked at me coldly.

'Suit yourself,' he said,' but I don't want to hear you speak in that tone ever again.'

He put his cup down on the slab, harder than he would have normally done, and went to bed without another word.

'Sweet dreams,' I muttered sarcastically, as I poured my cocoa down the drain, and trudged up to bed, too.

'SUZY PLEASEEEE PUT SOME CLOTHES ON!!!' I begged her, as she ran around the room. It's been about 2 weeks now. Since mine and Chase's fight. Dad's hostility towards me didn't really get better, but Suzy sure got a lot more stubborn.

'NO,' she said, putting her hands on her hips,' Only if you lemme wear za blue frock!'

'No way!' I said angrily,' it's super fancy, you're gonna get it all dirty!'

She pouted snootily and went under the comforter. At least she wasn't on full display anymore.

I looked over to Christina, who was on her bed, sketching something on her notepad.

'Some help please?' I asked her, annoyed. She shook her head.

'I'm busy,' she said shortly. Argh.

'Suzy!' I called out,' I'm gonna tell Dad!'

Suzy peeked out from under the comforter.

'Pretty please?' she begged. I shook my head resolutely.

'You can wear the purple one,' I suggested,' It's also super frilly,'

She thought for a moment.

'Oki doki!' she said, happily. I sighed in relief.

'Where did you get that from?' Christina suddenly asked, looking at the red lollipop in my mouth.

'I- er, bought it. From the store,' I said, quickly.

'No, you didn't!' she said, narrowing her eyes,' You took them from Mom's cupboard!'

I gaped at her.

'How do you know?' I demanded, dropping all pretense.

It was her turn to flush.

'Ha!' I said, triumphantly,' you snuck them too!'

'Did not! I just saw them there when I was looking for my blouse!'

'yeah, right!' I said, rolling my eyes.

'I'm gonna tell Dad!' she said haughtily. I saw Suzy take the paint palette out, but I was too busy with Christina to notice.

'What's your problem?' I asked her, angrily.

'My problem?!' she scoffed. She got up to go, but this time I held her back.

'No,' I said, blocking the door,' tell me! Every time we argue you run away!'

'Fine!' she said, crossing her arms,' I'll tell you what my problem is! You!!'

'What did I do?' I said, outraged. Suzy eyed us both apprehensively.

'I'll tell you,' she said, fuming,' STOP TRYING TO REPLACE MOM!'

I was thrown off guard.

'What?' I asked, confused.

'Everything you do-' she said, looking livid,'- you pretend you're Mom. Always telling me what to do, telling Suzy what to do! And when you're not scolding either of us, you're locked up in your room, or with Carmen! You've been so rude, and short with all of us! And it isn't fair!'