14. Interesting

I hummed as I walked down the usual path to Mariam's, my hands deep in the pockets of my light blue summer frock. After my talk with Dad yesterday, I had hurt my head by thinking about it all so much. I needed a break.

When I raised my hand to knock on the door, I heard voices coming from inside. 2 voices. It sounded like someone was singing, but there was something about the loud, confident voice that made my heart flutter. I wondered if I should still go if she had visitors.

But.... a quick stop wouldn't hurt, right? I had to go to Angelina's house, anyways, afterwards.

Dad had asked her for an appointment and she had happily given the date and time. I had to know the source of that melodious sound.

I went ahead and rapped my knuckles sharply against the door. The voice stopped.

The door swung open and I was greeted by Mariam, who today was wearing a classy, colorful patterned muu- muu dress and a white scarf on her head.

'Warda!' she exclaimed. I looked behind me to see if she was talking to someone else.

'I'm Jasmine,' I reminded her. She laughed.

'I know, dear, Warda means flower in Arabic, and I think the name suits you!' She explained, but then added,' you don't mind me calling you that, do you?'

I shook my head.

'Of course, not; I love it!' I gushed. She beamed and ushered me in. I went inside and was about to take my usual spot in the armchair, when I saw that it was already occupied by someone.

Someone who was wearing a blue robe and scarf, a wide, pink smile and had twinkling brown eyes, and holding a large, beautifully decorated book in her hand.

Abeyha.

She jumped up at the sight of me, shutting the book and keeping it on a shelf, high up.

'Abeyha!?'

'Jasmine?!' we both exclaimed in unison.

Mariam looked delighted.

'Warda, you've met my granddaughter?'

'Your granddaughter?' I repeated, astounded.

Abeyha gave me a shy smile.

'I had no idea you knew jeddati,' she said, in her usual quiet voice.

'Jeddati?' I repeated.

'Oh my, this is exciting!' Mariam exclaimed.

'Exciting?' I repeated yet again. My head was spinning. So much for a break!

'Jeez, Jasmine, ya ain't a parrot; stap repeating everythin'!' Abeyha suddenly spoke up, but this time in a far better American accent. She immediately blushed, following her outburst.

I stared at her in shock. Then I burst out laughing.

'Wow, that was um- very American-y,' I giggled.

'You think so?' she said with a sheepish grin,' My brother's been teaching me American slang.'

'It's wonderful!' I said. She looked very happy. I now realized that the voice must have belonged to Abeyha, but it seemed impossible, that the loud, confident and melodious sound belonged to the same timid person.

'Why are you standing, you both? Sit, sit, sit!' Mariam spoke up, clapping her hands,' I'll get you both some snacks, and I'll listen your Juz later, all right?'

She addressed the last bit to Abeyha, who nodded in agreement, and bustled out to the kitchen, where I heard her take pots out.

I turned to Abeyha. I had so many questions.