17. Player

Wearing a pale pink shirt with periwinkle blue jeans, and hair falling on my face, I yawned as I went downstairs.

'Dad, what's for breakfast I'm starvi- '

'YOU CAN'T COME IN THE KITCHEN,' Christina hollered, standing on tip- toes and hands stretched out so she could block my way and sight.

'What do you mean?' I demanded.

'It's a surprise!' she said. I peeked over her shoulder and saw a mess on the counter. Flour, eggs, and was that... ketchup?

'Are you making my cake?' I asked shrewdly.

Her face fell.

'Ok, ok I'm sorry,' I said, feeling guilty for ruining her surprise,' I'll go, but can you please be careful near the stove? And I've organized the spice cabinet alphabetically, please don't rearrange it and the milk shouldn't be kept outside for too long or else it'll turn sour and the-'

'I know, I know,' she said, interrupting me and pushing me away,' just go away.'

'but I'm hungry,' I whined.

'Not my problem,' she said, shrugging and went back to the kitchen.

Seriously. It's my birthday.

'Where's Dad?' I called out, my back turned on the kitchen.

'Gone to get something,' she replied shortly. A clatter was heard. A very loud clatter.

I instinctively turned around and saw a blur of yellow, silver and pink.

'It's all right! I dropped the bowl,' Christina said, waving her hands around. I narrowed my eyes at her suspiciously. She smiled sweetly back.

Giving up, I went back up to my room, and took out my secret stash of Nutella B-readies. I knew they would come in handy someday.

Feasting, I opened up phone to greet a message from my teacher. My throat went dry.

Exams will be starting from 1st May, and will be taking place online. More details will be shared soon.

Already? I counted the days left...less than a month! I was barely ready. Ugh. Why did she have to send it on my birthday? Couldn't she have sent it tomorrow?

Feeling immensely guilty, I flipped through the pages of my biology book. The crisp pages. If I really wanted to be an oncologist, I'd have to get tops marks in biology, at least.

I made up my mind to start studying like mad.

From tomorrow.

***

'Happy Birthday!' I was greeted by a loud chorus when I went downstairs a while later.

I wasn't shocked to see the pretty, purple and black banners that hung in the lounge reading 'Happy 17th Birthday- You can finally use magic outside Hogwarts!' or the balloons. I was mainly surprised to see something that looked like a decent cake, on the table and Chase, Marilyn and Carmen standing next to it.

I smiled. Suzanne hugged me around the middle. Dad planted a soft kiss on my head before handing me the knife.

'Make a wish, make a wish, make a wish!!!' Carmen said, rubbing her hands together. Chase laughed and gave her a warm smile. My smile faltered a bit.

'Relax, it's her wish,' he said, placing a hand on her shoulder.

I leaned forward and closed my eyes. Then I opened and blew the candles.

Yay. My first birthday without Mom. It felt weird. I felt very selfish and guilty. I should have been studying, not celebrating. And when I was, I was too busy noticing what wasn't there, instead of what was. I couldn't get the image of Chase and Carmen out of my mind either.