V. Angelina- (Prologue: Yesterday)

'James, could I please have a word with you?' Charles asked politely, when he had finished the food on his plate.

Christina, Suzanne and Jasmine all looked up curiously. After Charles had grudging invited Chase for dinner, he had maintained a hostile silence with him.

Chase gulped and followed him out of the room. Charles led him to the dusty storeroom, where they could have some privacy.

'So...' Charles began awkwardly. Chase gave a forced chuckle.

'So...' he began again,' You and Jasmine...are together...so umm- '

'I wouldn't dream of hurting her,' Chase said quickly.

'Everyone says that,' Charles said dryly. Chase flushed.

'Well I mean it,' said Chase, firmly. Charles gave a tight- lipped smile.

He put his hand on Chase's shoulder.

'James, I've known since you were 3. You're a good kid, perhaps the only I can trust my Flower with,' said Charles,' so please, keep her happy.'

Chase nodded.

'And...that's about it...so we should umm- probably go back...' said Charles, shifting uncomfortably. The store was tiny, and the distance between him and Chase was way less than he would have liked.

He made to go, when he turned back and said,

'Oh, and it's best if you stay off the couch. If you know what I mean,' said Charles, but with a small wink.

Chase went red as a beetroot.

***

'What did Dad say?' Jasmine asked him curiously, as they stood outside on the porch. Night had long fallen, and Chase was going home.

'Eh, nothing, you know, the traditional 'you-are-dating-my-daughter-be-careful' talk,' Chase said coolly.

'Oh yeah?' asked Jasmine, raising her eyebrows.

He nodded vigorously. She laughed and gave him a peck on the cheek, having to stand on tip- toes as she did.

'Come tomorrow. With Tina and Suzy.'

'I will.'

'Bye, Jem.'

'Bai, Jamie.'

Even though the walk between their houses was less than 5 minutes long, he had still come on his bike.

Jasmine watched apprehensively as he clipped his helmet on.

'You always wear that right?' she asked, shivering as the cool April breeze hit her.

'Always,' he replied warmly. With one last smile, he lifted his foot and zoomed away, taking the long way to his house.

'Take care,' Jasmine whispered. She had a forbidding feeling in her heart, and she didn't like it one bit.

***

Later that evening, as Jasmine helped Charles put the dishes away, he asked her,

'Hey, Jass, do you think Angelina seems familiar? I think I've met her before.'

Jasmine frowned.

'No, Dad, she doesn't. Not at all,' she said, wiping the glass in her hand.

It was his turn to frown.

'I'm sure I've seen her before,' he said firmly,' and I don't know why, but I keep getting reminded of pigtails when I see her. And a cowboy hat.'

Jasmine burst out laughing.

'Seriously, Dad?' she choked.

He glared at her.

'In my defense...' Charles began. Jasmine waited for him to continue.

'I have nothing,' he sighed. She tried to stifle a giggle, but failed.

'I'm sorry it's just so-'

'Are you okay??' Charles asked urgently, for Jasmine had frozen, and her eyes had widened.

She turned to him slowly.

'Pigtails. Cowboy hat. We had a play- date when I was 5, remember? Some older kids were there too. And there was this girl. She was wearing a flannel shirt with a jumpsuit. And she had braided her hair, and was wearing a cowboy hat. Mom loved her since she was so well- mannered. And she said her name was-'

'Angelina!' Charles exclaimed,' HA! I told you! Now laugh all you want.'

Jasmine rolled her eyes.

'But, you know, I'm impressed you still remember...that was really long ago,' said Charles keeping the last of the plates on the shelf.

'I didn't remember until a few seconds ago. I just suddenly had this memory of her. She taught me how to jump- rope,' Jasmine confessed.

'I see,' said Charles thoughtfully,' Fun fact, her father's in the Agency.'

'SAY WHAT NOW?' Jasmine exclaimed.

'Yeah,' said Charles smiling,' It's all coming to me now. We had a meeting at our place, so Maria decided it would be fun to have their kids come over too. You got lonely sometimes,'

'Oh my-,' I said,' So Angelina knows about it too?'

'I don't think so,' said Charles, shaking his head,' Richard never mentioned anything about his family- ever. He didn't want them to be associated with it.'

'I see- wait Richard? As in Dr. Richards?'

'That's the one,' said Charles, with a yawn,' Now I'm going to bed, you should too,'

'Yeah, I am,' said Jasmine vaguely, as he kissed her goodnight and went.

She stared at her reflection in the sparkly clean glass she had been wiping for the last 5 minutes.

Large, brown and very confused eyes looked back at her.

What was up with Angelina?