41~ Dr. Ava Paige

We were instantly hit with the smell of decay and rot. It was vile. We walked in warily to then see bodies scattered everywhere. There was tons of blood: splattered across the glass, pooling around bodies, trailing like snail trails to where the people had obviously not been able to move any further. I moved my hands from Chuck's shoulders to his eyes as we walked further in, trying to shield him from the horrors around us- although I am sure there is worse to come.

We appeared to be in some sort of lab- it was definitely beyond repair now. Glass was everywhere we stepped, sparks flew at us from broken wires. Something bad happened here and I don't like the vibes I'm getting. Chills keep going down my spine and I hate it here already, I just hope we can get out and this can be done with. There were several screens and monitors in the room, some of them showed things but some were broken. Newt, Chuck, and I stopped at a screen that caught Newt's eye. "So they were watching us. This whole time." he muttered. I looked closer and saw the glade from several camera angles. On the screen to the right were things that looked like brain scans and I could see data on all of us. He was right... they were watching us.

What if they saw us- ew I hope they didn't.

I took my hands from Chuck's eyes, he didn't deserve to know less than us. I kept his hand in mine and we looked around for anything else we could find until we were startled by a static sound that we all followed to a huge screen. On the screen was a woman dressed in white with her blonde hair pulled back out of her face. She looked like a kind of doctor. The screen started talking to us:

"Hello. My name is Dr. Ava Paige. I'm Director of Operations of the World Catastrophe Killzone Department. If you're watching this, that means you've successfully completed the maze trials. I wish I could be there in person to congratulate you... but circumstances seem to have prevented it. I'm sure by now, you must all be very confused, angry, frightened. I can only assure you that everything that's happened to you, everything we've done to you, it was all done for a reason. You won't remember, but the sun has scorched our world."

Images and video clips appeared on screen of a desert-like world with destroyed buildings and tons and tons of sand. I gripped my little brother's hand tighter.

The woman continued still as we watched what the world looked like.

"Billions of lives lost to fire, famine, suffering on a global scale. The fallout was unimaginable. What came after was worse. We called it the Flare,"

The images of the scorched world had now moved to clips of people covered in black veins. They were screaming and shouting in pain. They didn't even look human. My heart ached for them.

"a deadly virus that attacks the brain. It is violent, unpredictable... incurable- or so we thought. In time, a new generation emerged that could survive the virus. Suddenly, there was a reason to hope for a cure, but finding it would not be easy. The young would have to be tested, even sacrificed, inside harsh environments, where their brain activity could be studied, all in an effort to understand what makes them different- what makes you different. You may not realize it, but you're very important. Unfortunately, your trials have only just begun. A you'll no doubt soon discover, not everyone agrees with our methods. Progress is slow, people are scared. It may be too late for us... for me... but not for you. The outside world awaits. Remember: Wicked is Good."

She now held a gun to her head and I turned Chuck away so he didn't have to watch, but he still heard the shot and looked scared. I pulled him into a hug and we walked with the others where a door opened. Chuck asked, "Is it over?" and I whispered, "I hope so."

We were about to go when we heard a voice behind us. "No." the familiar voice said. I rubbed my eyes to check if I was seeing things right but he was still there. It was Gally. "Gally?" Thomas asked. Teresa stopped him from getting any closer, "Don't. He's been stung."

She was right. He was stood there shaking with cloudy eyes and it was clear that he wasn't himself anymore. He shook his head, "You can't leave."

"We did Gally, we're out. We're free." Thomas was trying to calm him down.

"Free? You think we're free out there? No. No there's no escape from this place." Gally shakily revealed a gun he was now pointing in the direction of Thomas. Thomas was now shaking in fear of what could happen with a clearly mentally unstable boy pointing a gun at him. He held his hands up a little bit to show he wasn't a threat. "Gally, listen to me. You're not thinking straight. We can help you."

Gally wasn't lowering his weapon after what Thomas said. I felt Minho next to me, he was gripping tighter on to his spear. I didn't want anyone else to die today so I joined Thomas' attempt to calm Gally down. "Gally, come on mate. We are out now, we are going to live a better life. Shooting anyone won't help you. Just come with us, come with me."

"I belong to the maze," snarled Gally.

"Just put down the gun." ordered Thomas.

"We all do."