Seventeen

The room was silent.

Rouge, Knuckles, and Sonic were shocked to hear what Shadow screamed. All eyes were on him.

Shadow felt his heart race and tears rushed to his eyes. He got out of the room as fast as he could with the large baby bump. He made it to his bedroom and closed the door.

Rouge was still in shock, no words came out. But she was about to go where Shadow was and Sonic stopped her.

"I think it would be better if I talked to him." Sonic commented.

Rouge backed off and nodded. She felt Knuckles wrap and arm around her shoulders in comfort.

Sonic walked to Shadow's room and knocked on the door. "It's me Shad." He heard shuffling and the door opened.

Shadow pulled the blue hero inside his room and closed the door. Tears filled his eyes and Sonic could see he was visibly shaking.

"Tell me what you're feeling. Is it another attack?" He asked.

Shadow took a deep breathe and sat down on the bed. "I-I don't think so...I think it was..*tears stream down muzzle* too much for me to handle..and..."

Sonic sat next to Shadow and wrapped his arms around him.

Shadow let his emotions show and cried.

"Shhh, it's gonna be okay. Just breathe and then we'll talk." Sonic comforted.

(With Knuckles and Rouge)

Knuckles watched as his wife was so conflicted. He rubbed her shoulder in comfort. "It was just said in the heat of the moment Rouge. It's okay, he agreed to this."

Rouge closed her eyes and shook her head. "I-I'm not so sure about that." She opened her eyes and glance at Shadow's bedroom door. She looked at her husband and put a finger over her lips. Rouge got up and snuck over to the door and listened in. Knuckles followed soon after.

(With Sonic and Shadow)

Shadow had dried his tears and calmed down. He was taking in a few deep breathes and turned to Sonic.

"Better?" Sonic asked.

"Yeah." Shadow sighed.

Sonic gently placed a hand on Shadow's shoulder and rubbed it. "Shadow, about what you said-"

"I didn't mean to say that. I-I was just so mad and then...that came out." Shadow said.

"But is it true? Did you really not want to be Rouge's surrogate?"

Shadow closed his eyes and kept his head down.

"I'm guessing that's a no?"

"It's not that I didn't want to. I told her that I would do anything to help her, but when she told me about this I panicked. She wants this baby more than anything else. After I said I didn't know my answer, she left for I wouldn't see her cry...*looks at Sonic with tears in eyes* ...She's my sister Sonic...how could I not help her?" Shadow explained.

"I understand. Remember, I have a sister myself Shad. And I would do anything for her too. But just because she's your sister and you love her, doesn't mean you are forced to do anything that makes you uncomfortable or hurt you in anyway." Sonic replied.

Shadow nodded. "Besides, this is almost over. There's nothing I can really do about that decision now."

"But you can voice your concerns, tell them how you feel, and speak up when you need help. At least you can make the rest of pregnancy taking better care of yourself." Sonic commented.