Four

Shadow was in pure shock. He didn't know what to say.

"Will you do it?" Rouge asked squeezing his hands desperately.

Shadow took his hands out of Rouge's grip.

"Shadow?"

He wasn't talking, so many things were running through his head.

"I wouldn't ask you if I didn't have a choice. Knuckles and I want to start a family so badly. You know that. I know this is a big ask, but I'm asking you, as my closest thing I have to a brother, to do this for me." Rouge pleaded desperately.

"D-Do you know how crazy this sounds Rouge?" Shadow finally spoke.

"Yes, I'm aware of-"

"You know I would do anything to help you, but this?! It's just-.....W-We don't even know if..*blushes* everything works." He interrupted.

Rouge heard the panic and worry in Shadow's voice.

"Shadow, trust me okay? 'Everything' works, you were created with this ability to produce more beings with your unique genetic makeup. And I know for a fact you haven't had sex yet so you are fertile." Rouge explained and rubbed Shadow's shoulder.

"I-I don't know...How would this even happen?" Shadow asked.

"I already planned this out hun, the doctor found one fertile egg when she was examining me. She said that she would keep it alive if we could find someone to carry it for us. All you would have to do is carry it for a full term. Knuckles and I will give you what you need, you would staying with us for you won't do this alone, you'll be taken care of. I promise."

"Why wouldn't I stay here?" Shadow asked.

"Honestly hun, this is a bad neighborhood. I know it's cheaper for you but I'm worried that if you wait out the pregnancy here, I'm afraid people will take advantage of you." She answered.

Rouge saw Shadow was still not sure about the whole thing. "You don't have to do this if you don't want to. I'm not gonna lie to you Shadow, it's a long process and it can be very overwhelming. It's even gonna be scary. So I understand if you say no." Rouge spoke as her sadness returned.

She felt her tears starting to come back. "I'm sorry, I have to go." She said about to cry.

"Rouge-"

She quickly walked out the door as tears flowed down her face. She walked to her car as the hopeless feeling return. 'That was it. There's no hope now.' She thought as she weeped in her car.

After a few minutes of letting herself cry, she heard a tapping sound. She looked out her window and saw Shadow.

Rouge gasped and wiped her face. She rolled down the window to speak with her brother. "I'm sorry I left so fast hun. I didn't want you to-"

"I'll do it."

Rouge's eyes widened as she heard those words. "What did you say?" She asked in disbelief.

"I said I'll do it." Shadow repeated.

Rouge quickly got out of her car and stood in front of Shadow. "You mean it? You're not just saying yes because you feel guilty? You really want to do this?" She asked trying not to get too excited.

Shadow took a deep breath and sighed. "You promise you'll be with me through this? I don't know anything about any of this."

Rouge nodded. "I promise, if course I will."

"Then yes. I'll be your surrogate."

Rouge hugged her brother tight and tears of happiness flowed from her eyes. "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you Shadow! I can't thank you enough! I can finally start my family!" She cried.

Shadow hugged her back, feeling worried. 'What did I just agree to?' He thought.