Fifteen

(The next morning)

Ruby eyes began to open with a yawn escaping his mouth. Shadow rubbed his eyes as he sat up. He looked around at the room he was in.

'That's right, I'm at Sonic's house.' He thought.

Shadow smiled as he carefully got out of the bed, still in the clothes from the day before. He opened the door and walked out.

The house was quiet, but a nice aroma caught his nose. As soon as it did, his stomach started to rumble and the baby started to kick.

'I guess you're a little hungry too. Then let's go see what's making that smell.' Shadow thought as he walked to the kitchen.

Once he arrived, he found Sonic wearing a light green shirt and jeans. He was in front of the oven, making pancakes.

Sonic heard Shadow's footsteps and turned to him. "Good morning Shadow. Or should I say good afternoon. It's 1 o'clock." Sonic greeted.

"Is it really?" Shadow asked.

"Yeah, But I'm not surprised that you slept for that long. You were sleep deprived." Sonic replied. He flipped another pancake onto a plate and turned off the oven. "Anyway, you hungry? I made brunch pancakes. Take a seat."

Shadow nodded and pulled out a chair to the kitchen table. He sat down and Sonic sat two plates down. One in front of him and one on the other side of the table.

"And I set out some syrup and peanut butter incase you wanted some to go with your pancakes." Sonic said seating in his seat.

"Thanks, you know I've actually been having cravings for peanut butter? It's so weird, I don't even eat it usually." Shadow said as he opened the jar and spread some on the pancake.

"Cravings can be weird. When my sister was pregnant all she wanted was vegetables and cheese. The whole house smelled like broccoli for weeks." Sonic chuckled.

Shadow started eating the freshly made pancakes and blushed. "It's really good Sonic."

"I'm glad you like them. Eat as much as you like. I can make more if your still hungry." Sonic replied.

Shadow basically devoured his three pancakes and downed his orange juice.

Sonic finished his brunch as well. He took his and Shadow's plates to the sink and washed them.

"Did you sleep okay? Baby sleep all night?" Sonic asked.

"Yeah, some of the best sleep I've gotten for weeks. I can't thank you enough." Shadow replied.

"You don't have to. You're my friend and I care about you Shadow. So there's no need to say thank you all the time." Sonic said.

Shadow blushed and smiled.

Sonic looked back at Shadow's blushing face and blushed pink himself. 'I love it when he smiles, and his beautiful face has an adorable blush on it. I don't know how long I can keep my real feelings hidden. But I don't want to scare him away either.' Sonic thought as he finished the dishes.

"I hate to ask you this, but how do you feel about Knuckles and Rouge coming over today?" Sonic asked.

Shadow's smile disappeared and he looked down. The memories of living with them flashed through his head. "I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. But in a way, I feel safe whenever you're around me. So I'm a little less nervous. Does that make sense?"

Sonic felt his heart skip a beat in happiness. He smiled and nodded. "It does, and I'm glad you feel that way. Because I promise I'll protect you no matter what." Sonic promised and sat down next to Shadow at the table.

Shadow felt the heat come back to his face. "I-I appreciate that Sonic." He spoke a little embarrassed.

Sonic chuckled as he heard his phone start to ring. He pulled it out of his pocket and checked the caller I.D. Sonic sighed then looked at Shadow. "It's Rouge, she's probably wondering when to show up here."

"We might as well get this over with." Shadow sighed and stood up. "Do you mind if I use your quill brush, everything I have is at their house."

"I don't mind. It's in my room, on the dresser." Sonic said as Shadow walked off. Then he hit answer on his phone.

S: Hello?

R: It's already almost 2pm Sonic. When are you going to let us see Shadow?

S: He just got up not too long ago and he just finished eating. Now he's getting ready, but he doesn't have his clothes. So if you don't mind, will you bring him some fresh clothes from his room at your house?

R: Sure, we'll be over there in the next few minutes.

S: Okay, see ya.

Sonic hung up the phone and walked back to his room. He found Shadow brushing his quills in his mirror, he ended up staring at his heavily pregnant abdomen.

Shadow was done brushing out his quills and put the brush down. He turned to see Sonic staring at him.

"Is something wrong?" Shadow asked.

"What? No! I-I just wanted to make sure you found the brush and that you know Knuckles and Rouge are gonna be here in the next few minutes, Rouge said she'll bring you fresh clothes." Sonic explained.

Shadow nodded and looked in the mirror with a worried frown.

"Don't worry Shad. I'll be by your side the whole time." Sonic assured.

"I know Sonic, I'm just worried that I'll have another attack while we're talking to them. I don't want to go through another bad one again, especially in front of them." Shadow spoke.

"Just remember to stay calm and breathe the entire time. And if you feel like you're going to have one, just walk out of the room and I'll be with you to coach you through it!" Sonic said with confidence.

Shadow smiled and nodded.

Suddenly there was a knock at the front door.

"That's them." Sonic said and looked at Shadow. "You ready?"

"I guess as ready as I'll ever be."