One

Rouge and Knuckles have been trying for a baby since there one year anniversary, and there two year anniversary is coming up soon. The female bat and the male echidna were waiting in an examination room at a fertility specialist.

Rouge was sitting anxiously in a dark purple sun dress in the examination chair while her husband was standing next to her wearing a green dress shirt and brown pants.

Knuckles saw Rouge was nervous and put a hand on her back in comfort. "Breathe Rouge, we'll have some answers soon."

"I know, that's what's killing me!" Rouge exclaimed.

Knuckles started to stroke her back while he started to grow impatient himself. "Where is that doctor anyway!" He exclaimed.

Rouge looked down at her stomach and breathed in and out. "I hope she's here soon. All I want to know is if everything's okay and we're just not timing my ovulation right. I just want a baby so badly."

"I know Rouge, I want a family just as much as you. We will have our baby, we just have to be patient." Knuckles stayed as he looked at the clock. "It's been 45 minutes! Where's the doctor!!" He exclaimed in rage.

"Be patient huh?" She chuckled and kissed him on the cheek. "Thanks Knucky."

Knuckles nodded and gave her a small smile.

There was a knock at the door. And then it opened.

A purple fox walked in holding a clipboard and wearing a white lab coat. "Sorry for the long wait, I was just going over your results Mrs. Rouge."

"It's fine Dr. Violet, just please tell us some good news." Rouge pleaded.

Dr. Violet's face turned from a smile to an emotionless one. "Mrs. Rouge, I'm afraid that this might not be good news."

The married couple's face turned into concern.

"Why!? What's wrong!?" Rouge exclaimed.

"I teaches your fertility and it is very low. The chances of you getting pregnant are close to none. Your womb is not fertile enough to sustain a full term pregnancy. I'm sorry." Dr. Violet explained.

Tears rushed to Rouge's eyes. She shook her head in disbelief. "T-That can't be true, we want a baby more than anything! How could this happen!" She cried.

Knuckles comforted her as she cried.

"I'm so sorry that this is not the news you expect Mrs. Rouge, but as I was examining you I did find a single fertile egg. Since your womb is not able to carry a full term pregnancy, we can keep it alive with your husbands sperm. This will fertilize the egg and create an embryo. Then you can find a surrogate. But I have to warn you that surrogates at very expensive." The doctor spoke.

"There's no way we can afford on of those. Don't they cost over 10 grand?" Knuckles asked still comforting his wife.

"Yes, But we can still keep the egg alive if you can find another way of conceiving it." Violet said.

Rouge wiped her eyes and sniffed. "Please try and keep it alive. Whatever you have to do. W-We'll figure something out."

"Alright, we just need a sample of your husbands sperm and we can get started." The doctor said.

Knuckles nodded and followed the doctor, leaving Rouge alone. She put her head in her hands and cried.

(An hour later)

The married couple finally made it home. As soon as Rouge got into the house, she walked into their spare room. It already had a crib in it and an extra bed. More tears came to her eyes.

Knuckles found her and hugged her. He was holding back his emotions for his love. "It's gonna be okay Rouge. Remember what you said? We'll find a way."

Rouge dried her tears and nodded. "Okay." She sniffed. "If you don't mind, I'd like to go to work. Maybe it will help clear my head."

Rouge worked as a spy, but now that she was starting a family, she asked to be switched to office work and behind the scenes spy activity.

"Sure, go do what you need to do." Knuckles said and gave her a peck on the lips.

"Thank you." She said and left the room and house.

After she left, Knuckles plopped on the couch and bang his fist on the coffee table in front of him, finally letting his emotions show.