twenty-six

thank you so much for 10k reads on wattpad, (almost) 3k reads on AO3 and for 12k likes on tiktok. you guys are truly the best. if you haven't already go check out my tiktok for visuals of these chapters😌

i give each and every one of you a virtual hug and kiss 😘

happy readings and stay safe besties! -salem🤍

TW: swearing, mentions of torture, death, mentions of cheating
word count: 5035

JJ: "We all have a monster within; the difference is in degree, not in kind." Douglas Preston.

"Please, state your full name and the department you work for."

JJ sat up and straightened out her appearance. "Supervisory Special Agent Jennifer Isabella Jareau with the Behavioral Analysis Unit. Federal Bureau of Investigation in Quantico, Virginia."

"Agent Jareau. How would you describe Agent Hotchner's recent behavior?" Erin asked and crossed her arms. JJ clenched her jaw.

"Driven. I would be too if someone were targeting my family," JJ said and tried to keep her composure.

"And what about Agent Prentiss?" Strauss asked.

"The same. Both of them have their son to protect. We both know that the two most dedicated agents in the FBI weren't going to let up on a personal case. None of us would. Agent Hotchner and Agent Prentiss were not the only ones looking into this case. Any threat to them is also a threat to the entire team," JJ said and crossed her legs under the table.

"Then what happened?" Strauss said and clenched her jaw slightly. "Start from the beginning."

"Hello, Lauren."

Emily hunched over the toilet bowl and emptied her stomach contents. She coughed up everything that she had in her. The woman shut her eyes as she flushed the toilet and stood up. Four weeks after, Foyet and Doyle made their presence known, and Emily was still on edge. Her face was into a towel bowl now more often than she cared to admit.

"Emily?" Penelope called out on the other side of the door. Emily got up and grabbed some mints from her bag. She popped one in her mouth before opening the bathroom door. "You okay? You look pale but also amazing at the same time."

"Yeah, just nerves. I threw up whatever was in my stomach," Emily said and popped another mint into her mouth. Penelope nodded and wrapped her arm around Emily.

"You think it's because you and Hotch just moved into that new apartment?" Penelope asked as the two walked into the bullpen.

"Maybe, we also love the company of a security guard," Emily said sarcastically. The women looked over at the bullpen doors that opened forcefully. JJ walked in and immediately ran up to Hotch's office. Both agents furrowed their eyebrows as Hotch and JJ walked out of the office and straight towards the conference room.

"Well, that doesn't seem good," Penelope said and looked over to Emily. Emily tilted her head towards the conference room. Derek, Spencer, and Rossi weren't far behind them as they all piled into the room.

"We have a possible lead on George Foyet," JJ said and placed both her hands on her hips. "So, Henry is currently running a fever, and while I was in line with the pharmacist, it got me thinking. She said that there's a lot of drugs that have over-the-counter substitutes. Since Foyet has spent years torturing himself, he'd have a pretty nice cocktail of strong medicine to ease the pain. But since we haven't been able to get a hit on the entire list, what if he's using their over-the-counter substitutes."