forty-five

i'm currently in a hand brace from typing on my phone and making edits all day. this is the price i pay for y'all for these chapters 🤨 (all jokes🥰)

happy readings and stay safe besties! -salem🤍

TW: mentions of smoking, minimal swearing, drinking
word count: 3922

Derek: "Those who are not grateful soon begin to complain of everything." Thomas Merton.

It was thanksgiving time for the BAU. Emily was currently running around her apartment as she prepared for the BAU thanksgiving dinner. Will was helping her out in the kitchen. JJ and Emily had agreed to let Will help with the turkey since Emily didn't want to burn down her entire apartment complex.

Needless to say, Emily was struggling to keep up. She and Will decided to do two turkeys to have enough for everyone that was coming. JJ was having the time of her life as she and Henry watched Emily go elbow deep into a turkey and scrunch her face up when she didn't know what she was doing.

JJ was thankful that she made her pies at home. They weren't the best, but she made them. Henry just laughed as Will and Emily struggled to season and get the perfect turkey. After they both were in the oven, Emily thanked God as she washed her hands and dried them off.

"I think I just violated a turkey," Emily said in disgust as she wiped her hands on her apron. JJ chuckled as Henry tilted his head. "You want a drink?"

"I'll just take a glass of wine," JJ said and ruffled Henry's hair. The boy was nuzzling his head into his mom's neck.

"Will?" Emily asked and walked to her fridge.

"No, thank you. All I'm drinking is water these days," Will said and smiled as Henry jumped off JJ's lap and into his arms.

Hours had passed, and the four of them were lounging around watching movies, waiting for the turkey to be ready.The apartment smelled absolutely amazing as Will and Emily both took out their turkeys. JJ's and Henry's eyes widened. Perfect turkeys.

"They look amazing," JJ said with a wide smile.Emily and Will high-fived as their tasks were complete. The raven-haired woman owed it to Will. Without him, she was certain thanksgiving would be a disaster.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

"It's open!" Emily shouted as she pulled off the oven mitts from her hands.

"The fun is here!" Clara yelled as she placed her sunglasses and bag down on the table by the entrance. Emily sighed in relief as Clara showed her the bag of liquor bottles in her hand.

"Oh, thank God," Emily said and embraced the woman in a hug. Clara chuckled as she set the bottles down over Emily's shoulders. Both women were kissing each other on the cheek before pulling away.

"JJ, I got you a little something. Em told me you drink white," Clara said and pulled the white wine out of the bag. JJ's eyes widened.

"Oh, buddy, you are the best," JJ said as she and Clara gave each other a quick kiss on the cheek.

"Oh, bring it in, Will. Come on. I know you were a hugger," Clara said as she wrapped her arms around the man who was laughing. "It's good to see you."

"You too, Clara. I've missed New Orleans," Will said as he pulled away from the woman. "How has it been over there?"

"Hectic. But, I miss you and my ladies over here," Clara said and gestured to Emily and JJ. "It's been a while since you've all been down there."