17 - wanna be yours

"you're gonna judge me for my favorite flavor when yours is literally strawberry!" i exclaimed. louis scoffed and put both his hands down on the table we were sitting on, outside our local ice cream parlor.

"strawberry is good! come on, try it," he furrowed his brows, opening his mouth slightly as he pointed the spoon towards my shut mouth.

"no thank you, sir," i smiled sarcastically, pushing it back to him. he put on an exaggerated frown,  biting the ice cream off his spoon forcibly. i personally chose to order (flavor of ur choice), which i had finally convinced louis to let me pay for myself.

i licked the ice cream off my cone, watching the boy stare off into the distance, eating the ice cream off his spoon. he looked so ethereal, the slowly rising sun shining perfectly on him, accentuating his side profile as he zoned out with such an innocent expression on his face. i felt such at peace here, just two teenagers mindlessly sitting at an ice cream shop, one of them undeniably in love. it was one of those moments that you just knew would stick with you forever, even if the world stopped spinning.

he seemed to notice my longing stare at him, as he turned to face me. the same look on his face as the day we first met. i saw the glint in his eyes and i know it sounds cliche and corny, but it felt so magical. that was when i knew i had trapped myself. i knew i'd look back at this moment, may it be in a week or even a few years, and remember the time where i had not cared about anything in the world at that moment, but him.

and it sucked.

because i was certain he didn't feel the same way. 

"have i got something on my face? why are you staring at me?" he chuckled, taking another spoonful of his strawberry ice cream into his mouth, his soft pink lips puckering just the tiniest bit as he ate his dessert.

god, i could stare at this man for hours and not get bored.

"y/n?" he asked again, a little bit of confusion in his voice. i heard him the first time, though i got too busy admiring him. i snapped back into reality quickly, my cheeks flushed red.

"oh, sorry, i- uh, zoned out," i shot a quick smile at him, taking licks out of my melting ice cream cone to hide my face from him out of embarrassment.

i heard a soft giggle escape his mouth. for fuck's sake, louis partridge.

eventually, we were finished with our ice cream, and the sun had almost risen. we had this tradition, i guess you could call it, where we would visit this very ice cream parlor at very early times in the morning, around 5 to 6am to watch the sunrise and, well, contemplate our life decisions. it started when both our parents took us here as children, and we never stopped, even when both our parents started neglecting the two of us for work and whatever shit they had came up with.

all we had was each other, as cliche as everything sounds.

"have your parents been home recently?" he asked, resting his chin on his palm since he was done with his ice cream.  this topic would come up occasionally, when we were both at really low points, or when we were bored, even.

"i don't know, usually when i come home they're at work or asleep, cause i'm at your house so often." i shrugged. i've grown to be numb to most things, but i had a weird soft spot for louis.

"what about you? they were never really at your house when i would come there."

he laughed it off, not really answering my question, but i got his point. it was all the same around here, anyway. i knew not to push any further.