Ch. 8

Two weeks have passed since Mine's and Sheele's fight against Seryu and Koro. Mine managed to carry her severely wounded friend out of the capital and back to the mountains to Night Raid's base by heading underground and trudging through the sewers until she finally escaped the city. The strong stench of waste covered up both of their scents and Sheele's blood couldn't be seen clearly in the dirty waters. The hardest part of their escape was how Mine managed to carry Sheele on her shoulders instead of on her back to avoid any horrible infection from seeping into where Sheele's legs used to be. It took them a full day and a half to reach the base. Everyone breathed a sigh of relief when they saw the two of them still alive after fearing the worst, but that was short-lived as they quickly saw the state the two girls were in.

____________

In the morning; (Y/n) carries a large tray with breakfast for Mine and Sheele to the infirmary, where the two girls have been since coming back. Due to her injuries, Sheele has been forced to stay in bed and Mine has chosen to spend most of the day with her even though her broken arm was already treated and Mine could go back to her own room whenever she wanted.

(Y/n)'s eyes are barely open, the only thing keeping him from falling back to sleep is the smell of the food in his hands. The sweet aroma of the hot floral jasmine tea made him feel relaxed so he wasn't as irritable after waking up so early to make breakfast just for two of his teammates. Next to each cup of tea was a small plate each with four pieces of triangularly cut, toasted chicken sandwiches. The mixed smells of which brought back memories of (Y/n)'s afternoons at his bar as he readied the same plate for many of his customers.

A proud smile stretches across (Y/n)'s face as he remembers how much his regulars would praise the food he prepared every day.

(Y/n): Mine. Sheele. I brought your breakfast. Is it okay for me to come in?

When he arrives at the infirmary, (Y/n) knocks on the door and lets the girls know it's him. Something he wishes he had thought of the first day he brought them breakfast and walked in on Mine in her underwear helping Sheele clip her bra. Mine's high-pitched scream was a painful alarm for (Y/n) to wake up to, and the lecture he received afterward was probably the most annoying morning he ever had.

Sheele: Go ahead, (Y/n), the door's open.

(Y/n) shifts his hold on the tray so that he can hold it with just one hand and turns the doorknob with his now free hand.

Mine: It's about time!

"Good morning to you too, Mine." (Y/n) shuts his eyes and takes a deep breath, showing great restraint from giving Mine a snide response.

Sheele: That smells really good, (Y/n). What is it?

(Y/n): I made you guys some chicken sandwiches. It's a recipe I use in my bar. I hope you guys like it.

Mine: You're feeding us bar snacks...? That's so gross!

She sticks her tongue out and reels back into her bed as if (Y/n) were holding something repulsive in his hand.

Mine: Did you also bring us some cheap beer to wash it down with and a side of stale chips?

She shakes her head as trembles with disgust.

(Y/n): No... My bar only carries top-shelf stuff. I even splurged a little while shopping yesterday. Including getting this tea from one of the stores Tatsumi told me you like so much, Mine.

Since his teammates were injured, (Y/n) had been the one Najenda tasked with making the trips to the capital for supplies they couldn't naturally find in the forest around the mountains. He didn't mind since it gave him a chance to check in on his bar that (Y/n) had left in the care of one of his friends while he was with Night Raid. It was still a good source of money for him... which he used the majority of to buy the best he could from the shops to take back to his new team.