Ch.17

Where am I...? There are echoes all around me. Is it Esdeath? Was I captured? No... I think I may be dead.

"Severe... abdominal injur-..."

"He needs...!"

"You're the... blood match..."

"His pulse is stable!!"

"The operation was a success!!"

I'm an idiot. Did I think I was the protagonist of some action novel or something... A hero that would awaken some unique power slumbering deep within himself, slay the evil monster, and free the country? I'm far from a hero... And... if I were to pick a genre that had me as the main character... it would be... A tragedy.

The first time I met Leone was on the opening day of Lilith's Nest. The pub wasn't even open yet, when she threw the door open, calling out for a drink. I don't remember why... maybe I was nervous about the pub failing, so I offered to serve her so long as it was something that had already been unpacked and wouldn't make me dig around in a dozen odd boxes.

The first time I was on a mission with Night Raid, I imagined what it would be like... If I turned her away that day. Would she have become as attached to me as she is if I had? Would be a killer, living with other killers? Would I have had to kill my teacher, Xiang-Qing? Would the slaves Lubbock and I saved have been freed regardless of whether or not I was there? Would that girl, Lazuli, continue to live as an attack dog for people like Marou?

There's no way I could be a hero. Heroes are celebrated, adored, worshiped, and respected. Who would do any of those things for someone who's done the things I've done?

Why did I have to be strong? Why did I have to have a talent for martial arts? Why did Xiang-Qing have to give me Samael? ...Why did that bastard, Bach have to kill Fai and Luna, and degrade Air to the point she'd try to take her own life without ever coming to find me?

No. It's not Leone's fault for becoming my friend that I'm here, or Xing-Qing's for training me and giving me Samael... It's not even Bach's fault for all the horrible things he did to my sister and our friends. It's always been my fault.

I doomed myself to this life. Air told me she had already hired Night Raid to kill Bach and his associates. But that wasn't good enough for me. Night Raid would have just killed another target. I wanted Bach to suffer for what he had done, he needed to answer for the pain and humiliation Air, Fai and Luna were put through because of him.

I made the choice to join Night Raid after I ended up joining Akame to kill Zanku.

There's no one to blame but myself.

My body screams in pain as I regain consciousness, my right arm, left eye and let leg especially, and there's a twisting pain in my stomach. Do people feel pain in the afterlife? I'm gonna be so pissed if I have to go through the rest of eternity carrying all of the wounds Esdeath inflicted on me.

Wait... Everything feels weighed down by gaus and casts. I'm not dead... just in a lot of pain. That's better.... Right?

Fuck... I'm probably gonna get yelled at for what I did, aren't I?

As if I didn't feel like complete crap already. Now I'm gonna get lectured by everyone.

The cast on my right arm prevents me from lifting it up to my face to scratch an itch from the bandages over my eye. Even my left arm is stiff as I reach up and feel bandages scattered around my face.

"(Y/n)...?" I hear Air's voice. " Big brother...! Y-you're awake!" I manage to open my right eye just in time to see my little sister running toward me. "I'm so happy to see you're okay!" She wraps her arms around me as I manage to sit up.