Ch.16

I pull my mask out from my coat while using Samael to dislodge the piece of the street I'm standing on and push it back with lava.

"Well now, this is a list of firsts." Esdeath holds up a block of ice with my molten dagger encased inside. "Not only does an assassin manage to get this close to me, but then he warns me before he makes his move... And when he does, he actually manages to cut me." Her free hand slides over a small bleeding wound on her chest, right above her heart.

I don't understand why she's impressed. I sure am, but that's because I managed to move back before the spikes from the ice she used to trap my ice could pierce me back. If anything, the cold sweat running down my face makes it clear that I'm terrified.

"Don't get me wrong, other assassins have gotten pretty close to me... some because I let them. But none of them ever actually managed to do anything. They all gave off the faintest whisper of killing intent and that'd be enough to judge how close they were. Sometimes I'd play along and let them think I didn't know they were there, but then I'd just kill them. But you! Wow!" Everything about Esdeath radiated delight. I seriously couldn't begin to understand this woman. "I didn't feel anything coming from you! You could've driven this knife into my neck or my back and I wouldn't have realized it until it was too late! Oh, don't get the wrong idea. I'm not angry or anything. I mean, I would be if you were just some amateur who got lucky. But I'm pleased. I can't begin to tell you how glad I am that there still exist people like you in this world." Esdeath narrowed her eyes, thanks to my mask, she could tell how frantic my mind must've been racing.

I couldn't respond to her words. I just glanced around in silence, only letting out a low mutter as I calmed myself down.

"Tell me, how were you able to completely hide your killing intent from me?"

"That's easy. I don't t have any desire to kill you."

"Oh? So you were going to plunge this knife into my heart without any ill intent? My, and people say I'm crazy."

"I can't deny the truth in those words."

"And the knife? I've never seen one like this before. It emits heat allowing it to cut through materials even easier. Where did you get it?"

"I made it myself."

"An assassin and a craftsman? Interesting."

Esdeath let the block of ice that had been floating around her drop as she started walking toward me.

I made sure to stay as still as I could while activating Samael so Esdeath wouldn't see my next move coming. I shifted the magma under the streets, getting it ready to burst at my command. Additionally, I heated the air within 2m around me. Now when Esdeath uses her ice, her attacks will be weakened. Hopefully, it will take her some time to realize what I've done before adjusting her attacks.

"Why did you warn me?" Esdeath asks getting closer with each step. "You're an assassin, you didn't have to challenge me. So why?"

"I've been asking myself that for the last minute or so.... I just couldn't bring myself to attack you when your back was turned. ...It felt wrong."

"Pfft... Hahaha" Esdeath stopped and started laughing. "You just keep on surprising me!"

After a short pause, Esdeath let out a muffled giggle. As if reveling in the situation, unable to contain her excitement.