Ch. 3

A few weeks had passed since Night Raid had attempted to recruit me into their ranks, and slowly I had regained the peaceful life I had come to enjoy so much. Leone kept her promise and didn't bother me about joining her assassin group again. But thankfully she had recently started coming by the bar again. Although sometimes after she had a few too many, she would start bragging vaguely about the time she "pinned me down" leading to me getting some looks from many of the patrons.

Air was doing much better as well, she had started working at a bakery and sort of became the place's idol from how many new costumers it got from wanting to see it's cute new waitress.

My life was finally back to normal again, and even if the corruption of the Empire had spread, I was content, knowing that mine and Air's lives had found this happiness.

But I would have to appreciate it all later. Right now I was getting my bar ready for the lunch rush. Putting away the delivery of goods I had just received, my staff and I were carrying one box after the other into the kitchen.

We weren't open yet, but even so, I heard the front door open and slow footsteps walked up to the bar. When I went to see who it was, I saw the only royal guard I actually enjoyed speaking to.

(Y/n): Seryu?

She was sitting with a vacant expression, disconnected from everything around her. Her biological Imperial Arms, Kuro, stood on the bar, sadly tapping at her but with no response.

(Y/n): Hey, what's wrong?

I walked around the bar and sat next to her. That's when I saw she had tears wealing up and making her amber eyes shine.

Seryu: Captain Ogre... He... He was murdered last night....

She shut her eyes and covered her mouth to muffle her scream as she started crying.

I put my arm around her and pulled her close for a hug. Seryu wrapped her arms around me and cried into my shoulder.

(Y/n): I'm so sorry, Seryu. Orge was.... I know how much you looked up to him.

I had met captain Ogre or as he was better known as "Orge the Demon" from when I trained with the imperial army. Never before had I ever had the displeasure of meeting such an arrogant and ruthless person in my life. He took pride in abusing his authority be it from torturing those he interrogated or accepting bribes. He might have just been a captain, but he oversaw a large part of the city and this gave him the power he delighted in using to his own benefit.

The sorrow I felt now wasn't for Orge, but for Seryu herself. Her parents were killed a few years ago and now she had again lost someone dear to her.

Seryu: It isn't fair! Captain Orge was such a good man. He trained me to fight for justice, and now he's gone!

I stroked Seryu's auburn hair, doing my best to hold back from ruining the almost dream-like vision she had created for Ogre.

I lost track of how long we sat there together, but I stayed there with her until one of my staff came to get me to tell me it was almost the usual time for people to start coming in.

(Y/n): Seryu, I'm sorry. I can ask someone to cover for me if you want to talk?

Seryu: No, no, it's fine. I should get going too. There's still evil out there, and they won't face justice if I'm just sitting here crying.

(Y/n): Well, i-if you're sure.

Seryu: I am, thank you, (Y/n), truly.

(Y/n): Is there anything I can do for you?