Chapter 4

Today was a pretty good day. It was pretty normal... except the fact that I ignored Matt the whole day. He tried talking to me a couple times in the beginning, but I guessed he realized that I didn't want to talk. I feel so bad. I have never ignored him for this long before.

So today there was no homework... can it be like this forever? So, I drove to Cane's for some chicken, of course. I got "The Box" and replaced the coleslaw for another Texas toast. I also got a large fresh brewed sweet iced tea. I sat at a long table against the window on a stool.

"Cassie! The Box for Cassie!" I heard behind me. I raised my hand and the 18 year old boy set down my basket. Before I got a chance to dig in, my phone started ringing. It was Matt.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Cassie," Matt exclaims.

"Hey."

"Hey! Can we meet up?"

"Well I'm at Cane's right now, if you want to meet here?"

"Of course you are!" He chuckles. "Yeah... I'll be there in 5."

"K. I'll be waiting." I hang up. I slowly eat and drink my tea.

*

I feel a warm hand lay on my shoulder. I turn around and squeeze Matt.

"What's this about?" Matt hugs back and smiles.

I shake my head and close my eyes. Matt pushes me away but keeps his hands on my shoulders.

"You ok?" I nod and sit back in my seat.

"I'm gonna get food, okay?" I look at his bold brown eyes and nod. He smiles and walks away.

My head is spinning. I can't handle this. Do I tell him that I love him? Will that ruin our relationship? Will that ruin his relationship with Julia? I turn to where Matt was and smile. He turns around and smiles. I quickly turn to the window and bite my lip.

"Hey," Matt says.

"Hey," I say as I watch him sit in the stool next to me and I smile. "So, what's up?" I rest my head on the back of my hand.

He smiles and scratches his forehead. "Um. Julia dumped me." My smile fades.

"Wow. I'm so sorry."

"Nah. It's cool. I've actually liked someone else a lot more lately." He looks deep into my eyes.

"Matt! Three Piece for Matt!" Matt jumps up and raises his hands. He looks down at me and smiles. I, then, hear my phone ring. It was Lynn. I answer.

"Hey. Where are you?"

"Cane's-"

"Of course you ar-"

"With Matt."

"Oh. Is he right next to you?"

"Yeah..." I make a confused look and Matt looks at me; raising his eyebrow.

"Go to the bathroom... and pretend we stopped calling too."

"Okay. Bye. I'll talk to you later." I bring my phone down to my side. "Um." Matt looks at me; interested in whatever I say. "I have to use the restroom."

"Okay." He smirks.

I walk fast to the door leading to another two doors: one for men... and one for women. I walk into the women's room and put my phone to my ear.

"Hello?"

"Are you gonna tell him?" Lynn asks excitingly.

"I don't know yet, but Julia dumped him."

"No!"

"Yeah, and he said that he has been liking someone else lately."

"No!"

"Yeah."

"What if it's you? That would be amazing! Hashtag... Mattassie!"

"Mat-tas-sie?"

"Good, huh? When shipping was invented, I came up with that. And it's better than Mattulia"

I chuckle. "Wow."

"Yeah. Well, good luck."

"Uh... thanks, Lynn."

"No prob." I smile and hang up. I walk out to find Matt eating his chicken while on his phone.

"Hi, sorry that I took long."

"Hey. A girl's got to do what a girl's got to do." We both chuckle.

"So." I look at him in the eyes and smile.

"So... since Julia dumped me, I'm just gonna flirt with you. Cassie, you are so beautiful; it drives me insane." I don't say anything. "Are you ok?" He chuckles and then looks at me in my eyes. "I'm sorry."

"It's ok. Thank you," I say as I tuck my hair behind my ear.

"Has a guy ever flirted with you before?"

"Uh... it's rare." I look outside and bite my lip.

"Really? Even with a pretty girl like you?" I look at him and he smiles.

"Um, I guess. thanks." I chuckle.

"God, you're so adorable."

"Do you really think I'm cute?" I give him a nervous look. "You're probably just flirting with me because you know that I like you. That I've liked you for, like... forever. And now that you're single, you choose the first girl that you can think of to flirt with... me. You probably don't even think I'm pretty."

"Yup. No one else right now. You're just a filler for me. No, Cassie! What are you thinking? Of course you're gorgeous. I've had a crush on you ever since I found about crushes. You're so fucking adorable and you need the experience. Come on, cutie." He does a crooked smile and my eyes start to water.

"I love you!" I cover my mouth.

"I-" I start to run out the door... to my car. I hear Matt run after me. "Cassie!" I turn around and he runs up to me and kisses me. Maybe he loves me too?