Chapter 2

I got to school. I'm pretty early. There's only around 12 people in the courtyard. I remained in my car; reading "The Best of Me," one of my favorite novels. Soon, I heard a knock on my window. It was Matt. I rolled down my window.

"Sis. What happened? Why did you leave?" Before I could say anthing, Julia came up behind him and kissed him on the cheek. Matt turns around and starts making out with her... leaning on my door. I get a text from Lynn to meet her at the gym... "ASAP." So, I grabbed my backpack and my drink, and climbed over to the passenger's seat. I opened the door and looked over at Matt and Julia; still making out. Do they ever just sit down and talk... oh my gosh.

I walked to the gym and found Lynn. We walked to a pretty short line to pick up our schedule and locker number and combination.

*

Lynn ended up having 4 out of 8 classes with me and her locker was in the same section as mine.

I feel a warm hand on my lower back and I know it's Matt. Lately, he has been putting his hand lower down my back, which, I find odd, but I don't really want to make a big deal about it.

"Sorry, sis. Too much makin' out?" He looks deep into my eyes. I don't say anything and he walks away to the line.

Lynn walks over to me. "Wow."

"What?" I ask.

"He knows you don't like him and Julia being together."

"You can tell?"

"Yeah. And I saw him touch your back." She elbows me in the arm.

"Yeah, he's been doing that lately. Is that weird?"

"Little bit. 1: That hand is getting too close to that ass," she says while pointing at him, then my butt, '2: He has a girlfriend and 3: He calls you "Sis." She says while she puts her hands on my shoulders.

"Huh."

"Maybe... he likes you." I look to the ground and tap my right foot. I look back up.

"That's not enough evidence."

"Don't deny the fact that he might like you." She sips on her hot latte. "Shh. Matt's coming over."

"Sis-"

"Can you maybe stop calling me sis?!" I snap at him. Lynn looks at me with her crazy widened eyes.

"Oh." I look down again. "Sorry si- I mean Cass, what classes do you have?"

I look at him and I can feel my eyes slightly water. "Umm." I tell him my classes. I had 3 classes with him... Math with Lynn too... and Julia. And is it me or is it odd that Julia and Matt's lockers are right next to each other... and they have 5 out 8 classes together? Interesting.

*

I started to walk to my car to grab stuff for my locker. I opened my trunk and picked up my box. I noticed something roll out of the box. So, I climbed in and reached for it while obxiously groaning. I heard footsteps behind me. Matt. I climbed out and saw Evan standing there.

"Hey. Need help there?" He chuckles and puts his hands in his pocket. He observes me; starting down at my white converse, scrolling up to my brown eyes.

"I'm ok, thanks... Evan, right?"

"Yeah. In the flesh." He says while he opens up his red flannel... wearing a white v-neck under. He chuckles again while looking down. He looks up and wets his lips. "May I walk you to your locker?"

"Sure." I say tucking my hair behind my ear. Maybe Evan likes me?