34: Contract

"Father?" I asked, looking over the contract.

"Yes?" he replied, a threatening edge in his voice.

"Will I move as soon as I graduate?" I asked, changing my question.

"Yes. I'll take you to him," he answered.

"How old is he?"

"He'll be seventeen by then."

I nodded. His patience was already gone. I signed the contract without further question. But... "Will I fight or provide?" I asked.

"Both. Love, affection, housework, and, most importantly, pure children."

"Of course, father."

***

"A different wizard carried out the task," the Dark Lord hissed. "But the reward shall stay the same."

I looked over the table of Death Eaters, seeing only two wizards my age present. I didn't want either of them...

"The reward, of course, being a young, beautiful wife. And the ceremony will begin immediately." My father rose and pulled me up. "Narcissa," the Dark Lord called.

A woman entered the room with a white dress on her arm. My father led me over to her, and she led me out.

"I'm Narcissa Malfoy. You...you were supposed to marry my son."

"Oh..."

"The man you're marrying...I trust him more than anyone. I've entrusted him with my son's safety before."

"He...he won't...hurt me?" I asked hesitantly.

"No, heavens no." She helped me into the wedding dress. "My husband, Lucius...he loves your husband-to-be, but he's not exactly joyous about Draco not being married to you. He is, however, best man. Just be careful around him."

I nodded. "Thank you," I whispered.

She took the veil and put it on me. She flipped it over my face, and my vision was partially obscured. I wouldn't be able to see my husband until he was my husband.

Narcissa led me to my father and disappeared. I was led down the isle to a man in a black suit with black hair. Otherwise, I could see nothing. The Dark Lord officiated the short ceremony. We exchanged rings I had never seen before. But the rings were gorgeous...at least from what I could see.

And the Dark Lord ordered us to unite in a tender embrace. The veil was flipped up, and I saw my husband was approximately thirty-five. His eyes saddened, probably at my expression. He put his fingertips to my cheek gently and leaned into me. Our faces touched. He didn't quiet meet my lips. Feeling my father's glare, I closed the gap.

Despite my initial aversion, I didn't pull away after a millisecond. His lips were thin and sharp, and I...liked it. They were as soft and gentle as the hand to my face. I pulled away, and he took my arm.

He led me back down the aisle, and I looked back to my father. He nodded curtly once, as if saying this was completely fine with him. Beside him, Narcissa looked at me apologetically, as if she were well aware that the age gap was more than a bit concerning to me, that she should have told me. Beside her, a wizard my age with bleach blond hair looked at me with no clear expression. I guessed he was Narcissa's son, the man I was meant to marry. He seemed unsure of if he wished to be in his original placement.

I looked back to my husband to see a tight smile. As soon as we left the room, he pulled me to him and spun on his heel. I held onto him tightly as he pulled me to his chest. He released me just as quickly.