AMARA JACINTO

"Once In A Lifetime"

"I want you to meet, Amara Jacinto. She's the new orphan here in the Hope Orphanage so be good to her okay, children?"

No one answered sister Fely who just introduced Ara to be one of the orphan to the other children in this orphanage.

She step backwards to hid herself to sister Fely's back because of the children was glaring at her like she didn't want her to be their friends.

"It's okay, Amara. Go play with them."

Sister Fely urged her to approach the other kids to play with them but she herself, didn't took a step forward and just remained hiding at the back of the nun.

"Nahihiya ka?" sister Fely asked her and she nodded. "Okay, ipapakita ko muna ang magiging kwarto mo at pagkatapos, lumabas ka mamaya para kumain ng tanghalian."

She nodded for the second time. Sinundan nya lang si sister Fely kung saan sya nito dadalhin bitbit ang kanyang butas-butas na bag at maduming teddy bear.

"This is gonna be your room, Amara." magiliw na sabi nito nang makarating na sila sa magiging kwarto niya.

Tipid siyang ngumiti at walang imik na pumasok sa loob ng kwarto saka sinaraduhan ang pinto kahit na nasa harapan ng pinto at nakatanaw pa ang madre.

Ara find herself sitting at the edge of her bed while playing with her shoes that is already covered with mud.

Earlier, the rescuer team had to save her from bad people who throws food and garbage at her while couldn't do anything.

At the age of ten, Ara can't remember her own parents and just live alone at the street and begging for people's money or food just to survive. Yes, she's been living alone without knowing her own parents for the rest of her years.

And now, everything became different. She's now living under the roof and not in some random streets. Now, she had food to eat for several years and not some left over food from the garbage. Lastly, she had clothes to wear for free instead of wearing people's old and dirty clothes just to covered her nakedness.

"LUNCH time!"

Ara immediately stood up when she heard a voice over the microphone that connected to every room in this orphanage.

She ran towards the door to leave her room. Ara was starving like she wasn't eating for the whole week.

"Oh huwag magtulakan!" sigaw ng tagabigay ng kanilang pagkain.

But the children didn't listen. Nag-uunahan at nagtutulakan ang mga ito para tignan ang kanilang pagkain sa tanghalian.

"Ito na naman?!"

"Nakakasawa na!"

"Hindi na ako kakain!"

"Sister bakit ito na naman ang ulam?"

Marami pang bata ang nagsiayawan sa pagkaing ibinibigay sa kanila na libre. Palibhasa ay magdadalawang linggo na nilang ulam ang sinigang kaya naman madaming nagreklamo.

Pero kagaya nga ng palaging sinasabi ni sister Fely, 'mabuti nga at may kinakain kayo, ang ibang bata nanlilimos pa para may pangkain.'

While other children are complaining, Ara is still patiently waiting for her turn to grab food on the line.

"Bago ka dito?" mataray na tanong nung tagabigay ng pagkain sa kanya nang siya na ang kukuha ng pagkain.

"Opo."