Chapter 17

I decided to invite Madison over the next day to sort things out and figure out why she was so upset.

I was surprised when she answered with "okay" after I texted her, asking her to come over.

I sent a follow up text which stated my address and I waited for her while watching Law & Order SVU.

I was watching Olivia interrogate the "perp" when I heard the doorbell downstairs ring.

I went as fast as I could down the stairs and opened the door to see a not-so-happy Madison in a knee- length black strapless dress and curled hair. She looked as if she was getting ready to go to a party or something.

I didn't think of her as someone who would curl their hair or wear a dress at all but, I just ignored it and invited her inside.

She came in without saying a word and pushed past me, then stood in one place and waited for me.

"Come up here" I said, going up the stairs.

Madison followed and looked around my room after I closed the door and plopped onto my neatly made bed.

"Wow" she said. Okay, I'll admit, my room is pretty awesome. Band posters covering nearly every wall, white lights strung around the room, a few beanbag chairs and a newspaper-style bed set just made up a few of the things that made my room the way it was. There was one wall that I was free to paint on and that was covered with my latest picture of I don't even know what.

"Yea" I said, looking around and admiring my "art".

"So, why'd you invite me here?" she asked, sitting in one of the giant beanbags.

"To find out why the heck you were so upset the other day" I exclaimed. How could she not remember?

"Oh, right" she replied, her smile disappearing.

"Why did you lash out at me like that? I mean, I get standing up for yourself, but you full on yelled at me and stormed away, leaving Jess and Skylar wondering." I said to her, angrily.

"I don't know what you're talking about" she replied, calmly.

"You know what I'm talking about" I said.

"You didn't just invite me over to yell at me, did you? Let's talk about other things. So, the weather's very nice today" she said while getting up and looking out the window.

"Madison, answer me. Why did you lash out at me the other day?" I questioned, clenching my fists.

"It's not too hot or cold. Temperate. I love this kind of weather" she tried, still trying to shift my attention to another subject.

"I'm serious" I said. That girl is getting on my last nerve.

"Fine" she said, defeated.

She sat down next to me on the bed and looked down at her hands in her lap.

"I don't know, to be honest. I guess I just got jealous that you invited another girl when it was supposed to be only me and you."

"And Jess" I added to her comment.

"Yes, and Jess." she repeated after me. "I just got really jealous and took it out on you."

"Mad, just because I felt bad that she was alone doesn't mean that she'll make us any less close." I said. "You were jealous about our history of friendship and I under-"

"No, it's not about that." she interrupted me.

"Then, what's it about?" I asked, totally oblivious.

"Well, it's kind of more than that?" she said, blushing.

"What? Like BEST friendship?" I asked.

"No, silly" she laughed.

"Then what?" I asked. Wow. Looking back at this is so painful because I was so clueless. Shake my head, as people say.

"Hailey, how can you not see it?" she said, still laughing.

"What? What can I not see? What are you talking about?" I anxiously asked.

"Hail, I like you. A lot. Like, since the day I met you. We're just so alike and I know that you're with Miles, but I've been scared to tell you because lesbians tend to get bullied and I didn't wa-"

"What?" I asked, still confused because she was talking so fast.

She leaned in to kiss me and I got up instantaneously and pulled away. This is literally Erik all over again, except with me being taken and "Erik" being a lesbian. welcome to the life of Hailey Welsh! Hope you have a wonderful time with awkward situations and a whole lot of drama!

"Hailey, I'm sorry. I guess I just, I-I..." she stuttered and got up.

"I need to go" she said, looking down to try to cover the unshed tears in her eyes and walked out.

I stood there, fazed by what just happened? I could only think one thing in that moment:

What?