Chapter 20

I called 911 in the bathroom to tell them what had happened. Madison was not angry because she understood what I had to do.

The ambulance arrived, even though she was not hurt.

I couldn't go in with her for some reason, so I grabbed my bike and followed it and just headed for the hospital anyway when I lost track of it.

I arrived at the hospital and told the nurse Madison's full name and she told me the room number. She was in a special part of the hospital to make sure that she didn't try to attempt suicide again. She would be safe and taken care of, at least until they let her out. For that, I was thankful.

I knocked on the door. She had a private room to herself.

"Come in" I heard Madison's voice speak.

"Hey"

"Oh, hi" she replied, shyly.

"You feeling okay?" I asked.

"A little. I mean, I'm as okay as someone who just attempted that so yeah" she said, almost a whisper.

I pulled up a chair next to her and sat down.

We sat there in silence for a minute or two.

"Why?" I finally broke the quietness.

There was another few moments of silence.

"Everything" she exclaimed.

We sat in silence again.

"My step-dad hits me" she said.

"What?" I almost shouted.

"Sh!"

"Why haven't you told me this before?!" I whisper-yelled.

"I was afraid"

"Of what?" I asked.

"Of you not believing me" she said.

"Why wouldn't I?" I questioned.

She looked me straight in the eyes.

"Because even my mother doesn't" she said, firmly.

I sat there in shock. How has she not told anyone else before? WHY has she not told anyone else before? This is serious.

"Madison, I don't know what to say. We have to go to the police. Now." I said to her.

"What? No! They won't believe me! And if they do, my mother will hate me!" she said, her eyes wide and frantic.

She quickly jerked up and tried to take hold my wrist while I got up to get my phone off the table I set it on at the other side of the room.

"Please, Hailey. You don't understand" she pleaded.

"You really need help. This can't go on any longer and I'm not letting you stop me no matter what" I said after I got out of her grasp and typed the password into my phone.

"Hailey, you don't understand. You can't do this" Madison said after she got up and came towards me.

"Madison, you shouldn't be up. Go lay back down and rest" I advised her.

"Don't tell anyone and I'll go lay back down" she replied, her eyes hard and cold.

"Than you'll just have to keep standing" I said, smiling sarcastically.

"I'm gonna scream" she said.

"No you're n-"

Then she started screaming.

I rushed to cover her mouth and when I did, then I saw her fist come toward my face.

Everything went black.