4-6: Support

"So it's true then..." Hibiki heard Tristan's father say while he sat just out of sight of the camera. He saw Tristan nod, as if guilty even when he hadn't done anything. "That bitch couldn't even keep her hands off of you for more than forty-eight hours. Just,- tell me what happened."

Tristan glanced up at him, then took a deep breath. No matter how much he tried to recollect himself, he couldn't look up while recalling what happened. Instead he stared down at the keyboard of the laptop the entire time he spoke.

"I got stressed from church, and all the praying they do. They wore me down, telling me I'm worthless and a sinner. And I just had enough? When we sat down for dinner and I had to pray again, I just couldn't do it,- I yelled at her, I don't even remember the words, just how horrible she was and that I didn't believe in her god. I shouldn't have shouted, but when she heard that I don't believe, she lost it. She hit me, over and over, screaming at me,- I couldn't do anything. All I know is that she grabbed my hand, and put a lighter underneath while telling me to go to hell." Tristan frowned and stared at his bandaged hand, trying to put his thoughts and memories into place, but it was clear that they were too overwhelming. Hibiki recognised all too well the disconnect that happened, when Tristan continued recalling as if he was describing a dream. It made him want to go over and hug him, to tell him he could stop – but that would reveal him to Tristan's father.

"She took out a knife and threatened me with it? Said she never wanted me, and that she would put me where I belong,- or take me back,- something like that. I think she wanted to kill me, dad... she wasn't even angry. All I remember is her eyes, wide open like a doll's – like there was nothing human in them..." Despite Tristan's best efforts, he saw that barrier of disconnect slowly collapse into realisation, and with it came frightened tears. He wasn't faring much better himself, balling his fists underneath the table and holding himself back best he could. He didn't know what he was holding back from more: hugging Tristan, or storming out to find a hitman.

"It's alright Trissy," Tristan's father broke the uncomfortable silence in which all three had to figure themselves out. "Your grandfather and I are going to put her in jail,- we'll cage that focking bitch once and for all. Enough's enough."

He saw Tristan wince at his father's anger, but nod nonetheless. Seeing how even anger not directed at him made him scared, he scolded himself for getting angry before – even though he hadn't shown it, he knew that the last thing Tristan needed would be more rage. With several deep breaths he tuned out the conversation, doing his very best to stay calm despite being impulsive by nature.

He reached out for Tristan with one hand, laying it on the table where his father wouldn't see. With a small, troubled yet compassionate smile he urged him to take it. When Tristan laid his hand in his he gave it a firm squeeze, making sure that despite being silent he was present. For just a moment their eyes met, and he saw the pain in Tristan's gaze soften slightly. Enough for him to wipe the tears away with the back of his burnt hand.

"I'll come get you tomorrow morning. Are you staying at a friend's house?" The question made Tristan look away from him, taken off guard.

"Yeah, Hibiki is a... friend of mine, he offered to let me stay so I wouldn't be alone."

While Tristan clarified where he was, Hibiki pulled out his phone and wrote with one hand – the other was still holding Tristan's. He quietly laid it down so he would be able to read it.

'I can bring you tomorrow and come with you?'

"Er,- my friend says that he could bring me?"

"Is he there too? I didn't hear him."

"Er..." Tristan stammered, realising he'd been caught. "He's,- he is mute."

"Triss... seriously?" His father said incredulously, nearly disappointed. "Now's not the time to pull my leg."