The Maid 10

Sam couldn't run fast enough. As soon as she touched ground she ran, but her emotions were faster. Shock, confusion, anger, sadness, and a million other sub divisions of those same feelings, many of which she couldn't even name. Too many things started to click in her head regarding her friend, why she always looked gaunt, why she first seemed skittish around the boys, how she lived in a dumpster but had a stash of money, and why she refused to spend the night.

Eldra was a prostitute, and had clients to tend to.

Sam had no sooner called out her name than when another car pulled up. Eldra froze, searching for who called, and when her eyes landed on the goth barreling towards her, she paled significantly

"Sam wha-what are you doing here?!"

"Eldra... What- wh-why are you here?"

She opened her mouth, but the window of the car beside her rolled down. "Aye sweet cheeks," his voice was gravely and rough, like a smokers, with a thick New York accent, "ya comin or what?"

She nodded meekly, grabbing the handle of the back door, but stopped once Sam snatched a hold of her wrist.

"Eldra you don't have to do this," Sam pleaded, "come home with me, I'll get you set up and comfortable, you wont have to do this anymore."

"Sam I can't, I have to-"

"Is the dark chick part of this or do I pay extra for her?" The driver called. Sam fumed at his words, but Eldra gave a pointed look that said don't do anything. She didn't, but her expression was less than pleasant.

"You don't understand, I need this money."

"I'm loaded remember? I'll help you out."

"I can't rely on you for that."

"Why not?"

"I just ca-"

A snarl was heard, "aye lady I aint got all night, get in or get out of my sight!"

Sam snapped, "SHUT UP!"

"Whatd you say to me you little brat?!" The driver got out of the car. He had a patchy discolored beard, balding light hair, and a potbelly. He looked like a typical drunk, but his arms were muscular, leading one to think he could throw a pretty mean punch.

"I wouldnt do that if I were you." A disembodied voice echoed behind the man. He swirled around, looking for the source but saw nothing. Then he saw nothing at all, as his eyes rolled to the back of his head and he fell face forward. Behind him stood a very smug Danny Phantom, his hand in the firm of a gun and his fingertips smoking. He blew on them cheekily, but his demeanor shifted at the sight of his friend.

"Hey, you ok El?"

"How do you know that name?" She looked frightened, and it broke his heart, but then it hit him as to why.

"Oh, uh," he chuckled nervously and rubbed the back of his neck. "I guess we both have secrets." He glanced at Sam, who nodded, and transformed back into Danny Fenton. Eldra was silent for a moment, but then relief washed over her face and she hugged her friend.

"Thank you."

"You know, all three of us are willing to get you out if you really don't want to be doing this anymore." Eldra looked up, seeing the sincerity in Danny's words written on his face, and mulled over them. She hadn't had a roof over her head in years, and she hated dealing with the clients of this town. But it was more profitable than her job at Sam's, and she could get back on her feet quicker with this. Yet, her friends were more than willing to give her a place other than a flipped over dumpster, and lend her money. No, she couldn't, she'd never be able to repay them, and should anything happen, she would lose not only her place, but her friends.

"You've got your over thinking face on, you're trying to talk yourself out if it." Sam put her hand on her shoulder, giving it a light squeeze. "How about this, you can stay the week ok? See how it is, and if you can tolerate staying. But if its so bad, at least let us help you move to something other than an alleyway, please?"

Eldra was silent and still for a few more moments, until she finally nodded.

"Okay"

Hi normally I wouldn't have ANs but I figured since i spent 10 chapters on this i should explain. I had this half baked idea in my head for weeks before I wrote it, and then it took me months to get to this point, and I really lost interest in it, as evident by this ending. I was gonna do a little epilogue about Eldra being established and back on her feet and just doing good, but just ending this was a drag so I'm gonna cut it off here and move on to something else.