Chapter thirteen

She brushed her teeth a lot more slowly then necessary, one hand on her belly that was now showing a lot more than before, feeling utterly disturbed. She was at least grateful that she didn't have Robot Victoria breathing down her neck today, she and Nasir had had a very heated argument yesterday about how the four workers needed a day off. He had being adamant about it, but she had insisted and won the argument all the same. It wasn't the first of their arguments since the day she stepped into this house as Mrs Abubakar. It had seemed to Nasir that he had a decorative wife at home who didn't have a brain of her own, the first thing she had done was to make sure he never fix an appointment without her permission again. Although it still hurt that he never for once volunteered to come to her appointments.

   It has being three weeks since their marriage and not for once did she see anything of Nasir except at night when he came home and crawled into bed beside her to either make love to her or just cuddle her, and not for once did she deny him access to her body. It turns out that the only place they ever agreed on anything was in the bedroom, when they weren't making love, or just cuddling, they would be total strangers. And by morning he would be gone, while she is left to deal with herself and do nothing all day long. And whenever he was at work, he never called for once to ask how she was faring, a part of her feared that he spent the better part of his days with Azeezat, the one he truly loves, and it hurt greatly. She was trying to get used to this life, and couldn't, it was messing her mind up seriously. She had recently begun to spend more time meditating, attending yoga classes, getting closer to Allah in prayers, and arranging some things in her life just so she could get her mind off the situational marriage she was in.

  She had even asked Max to arrange a time for her acting class shoot, and had even gotten an agenda for this next class. She even begun to take Hausa classes online, so she could be fluent in the language, and she was starting to get the hang of it. She didn't want to drive herself crazy living in a big house with nobody to talk to but servants who were a lot more like robots and walls.

  She pulled off her bathrobe and made to get into the shower when she heard the doorbell ring through the intercom that was situated right beside the door in the room. She bit back a curse as she pulled her bathrobe back on and walked over to the intercom to find out who was at the door, now realizing that giving the servants a day off was actually stupid.

  She turned on the camera to check who was at the door to see that it was none other than Nasir Abubakar. Her heart gave the usual skip it gives everytime she heard his voice, name, or saw him. Toni quickly glanced at the wall clock to check the time, she then began to wonder what he was doing home when it was barely 9pm. She wanted to leave him out there until she was done with her bath, it wasn't her fault he forgot his keys, but her stupid heart wouldn't let her do it.

    After several seconds of doing nothing but staring at his angry face as he pressed the doorbell over and over again, she walked out the room and headed for the main door.

  "Welcome home, husband," she said, forcing a bright smile on her face the moment she opened the door.

   "What is the meaning of this?" Nasir yelled, staring at her with an ominous glare. She was taken aback by his outburst because wasn't expecting him to get angry just because he spent a few minutes waiting at the door. "You've kept me waiting at the door for minutes and when you finally come out, you came out in this." He pointed at her attire.

  Toni made sure he was fully in, and had locked the door securely behind him before she turned to give an answer to the boiling rock she called a husband. She explained to him calmly. "I was about getting into the shower before you rang the door bell, were you expecting me to dress up and keep you waiting?"