Doubts and Tension

Charlotte:

Charlotte was extremely embarrassed. Not because of the rushed kiss she jumped into. Well that was part of the reason, but because of Yami and his stupid compliment.

Why would he compliment her over such an improper and unprofessional action that was solely based off of her desperate emotions?

She knew she should've thought her actions over before actually committing to them. It was her fault for getting caught up in his arms again. Leaning against his muscular chest was a mistake.

His hold was strong and warm, she could just melt into them at any given moment and that was what drove her off the edge. He was what made her a whole mess of embarrassment, regrets, annoyance, but also happiness, warmth, and love.

She clicked her tongue in annoyance. She hated this man and her love for him. Charlotte prepped her legs with strength as she shifted off of Yami to get up.

"Let's go now," Charlotte squeaked out.

Her legs shook as she forced herself to stand up. The air felt much colder now that she wasn't in Yami's arms. She shuddered off her discomfort and took shaky steps towards the tree trunk.

Just as Charlotte felt like her legs would give up on her she knelt down and started to carefully extract the moss that grew on the side. She was grateful for her timing because if she hadn't knelt down right then she was sure her knees would've buckled down onto the floor.

She silently cursed her legs for being so weak. She cursed her soul for being so fragile that only a simple touch from this uncouth man could break her. To make her lose control and take chances, chances that weren't guaranteed, a gamble. God she hated gambling.

Charlotte let out a grunt as she pushed herself onto her feet. Holding a small pouch that she carefully filled with the green moss that burned both of them. She made sure that none of it got on her this time.

"That should be good.." She told herself and fastened the orange pouch to the side of her belt.

"So, we should head back.." Yami's deep voice startled her and brought back the uneasiness that she managed to forget for a few seconds.

All the symptoms of her love-sick condition came back to her. Sweaty palms, shaky knees, an ever-turning stomach; that made her want to puke out her contents, and a trembling voice came back to possess her.

She thought that after confessing her love through the quick kiss she would get a reaction. An answer to her cursed feelings. Yet Yami acted like nothing happened. She was nervous, the unknown feelings of the other kept her on the edge of her seat.

Did he like her or not? That was the question she desperately waited for the answer. And after forcing herself to do THAT with him her question was still left with a blank.

He did say that he didn't think the kiss was necessarily bad but that wasn't a definite answer. All she wanted was a clear answer. She wouldn't get angry if he had denied her love. However anger and irritation filled Charlotte now as she was left waiting. She wanted to punch him for playing with her feelings.

She wanted to go back in time and make it that she had met someone else on her 18th birthday. Someone that wasn't this unreadable caveman that left girls on read.

Yet, she couldn't dare imagine someone else in his spot.

"Yes, let's go back." Charlotte spoke softly as she turned around to face Yami. He was already walking towards the dirt path.

'Impossible...' She raged at him and how he continued to act oblivious to her feelings.

Charlotte's trembling legs were now filled with anger, she stomped her way across the field. She meant to make a statement with her furious stomps but the grass muffled her furious heels.

Charlotte followed behind Yami, keeping her arms crossed over her chest. She gave the back of his head an enraged glare. She secretly hoped he would notice her anger and confront her about it, but at the same time she wouldn't know what to say if that situation were to happen.

They walked down the dark dirt path in uncomfortable silence but for Charlotte she filled it up with her anguished thoughts.

'That stupid, Yami. The least he could've done was say something less vague then, I wouldn't think so. What am I supposed to infer from that!?' Charlotte complained to herself as her eyes got narrower at the back of Yami's head.

'And now he just passes it over as if it was nothing? Was that all my gesture meant to him? Nothing?' Charlotte's anger reduced to a sadness that questioned her views on Yami.

After all she did, did he really think of it as nothing?

Over the past 3 days Charlotte had experienced all sorts of feelings, most of the time she felt sad and angry. She questioned herself constantly, and upon reaching her conclusion that she really did love Yami she stressed over him more than she should've. She went out of her comfort zone just for him, she let him see her vulnerable side- even though it wasn't on purpose.

She let her guard down, she kissed him.

After 10 years of her cursed love, 15 of being under the burden of Damen, she finally confessed to him. Yet, she got no real response from him except, 'I wouldn't think so.'

Her fearful aura came back and filled the forest air, disturbing the nature around them. Small insects and animals steered away from Charlotte. The greens cowered in fear whenever Charlotte passed over them, and for Yami, he did his best to not make eye contact with the furious monster that was growing behind him.

Charlotte continued to furiously complain about Yami with her emotions faltering between anger and disappointment. Before she knew it the golden sun came back into picture.

Charlotte squinted her eyes at the sudden sunlight, it was a harsh difference from the dark shaded trees. She uncrossed her arms and shielded her face from the glaring sun. It was a few hours in the afternoon and, unlike winter, the sun was still up.

Her cold blue-eyes looked around the garden and noticed a slight color change. It was much more vibrant and brighter than when they first arrived. Charlotte didn't know if her eyes were reacting to the long hours spent inside the dark and cavernous forest or if the sun had finally shone through the veil that covered the garden from before.

"Why is it so god damn bright," Yami grumbled as he also used his hand as a visor.

Charlotte rolled her eyes at his foul comment, not being fond of curse words. She found them to be unnecessary and rude. However that was just how she was raised.

Charlotte walked past Yami. Her steps were still filled with her prolonged anger towards the blinded man that still stared up at the sun that attempted to burn his retinas. The definition of incredibly stupid.

"Quit staring at the sun. As pitch black as your eyes are they'll still burn if you keep on staring." Charlotte chided with an eye roll.

Charlotte walked up to the molding door that led inside. She pulled open the door and walked inside, being careful to not step on any vines that found their way to the floor. The sound of Yamis footsteps echoed behind her.

Unlike the first time they had entered the rotting home the air felt more lighter. There was less pressure emitting from the home's aura. However there still laid an undeniable tension. A tension that wasn't created from the home with time.