Path to Understanding

Yami:

Underneath the bright afternoon sun Yami stood in the jungle-like garden of the mansion. Even though it was the middle of the Spring day the garden still looked dark like the night, like there was a permanent veil casted upon the eerie garden.

Yami looked at one of the thick bushes that stood in the broken flower bed, he ran a finger across a green leaf that stemmed out from a thick green branch that went deeper into a tangle of other branches that all connected to the base of the bush. He held the green between his fingers, rubbing it's waxy like texture, it was an addicting feeling to Yami.

He stared at the distant green trees of the cursed forest they had to go in. His dark eyes glared at the forest that was stained with the blood of innocent people that wandered into it hopping for a fun date but was instead presented with death.

He looked back down at the bush spotting small royal blue jewels erupting from the stem. An eyebrow quirked up with his interest, he hadn't noticed that the bushes in the garden were home to newly-sprouted blue rose buds.

He moved his rough hands from the leaf towards the blue bud, he stared at it curiously before plucking it off the stem. Yami brought the bud -that looked no smaller than a dime in his large hands- closer to his face to get a better look at its features; velvet, dark blue petals could be seen prodding out the tip of the dark green leaves that protected the insides of the elegant blue rose.

"Hey, why did you do that?" Charlotte angrily questioned him.

Looking up from the bud Yami saw Charlotte who had her lips angrily pursed together, hands on her hips, and eyebrows furrowed as she marched over to him. Goodness how cute she looked to him when angry, if it weren't for the lectures this stupidly, unaware man would gain from her he would get on her nerves much more often than what he already does.

Charlotte was in front of Yami now, giving him an angry pouty-face. Yami just stared at her questioningly, he didn't know what he did to get her like this.

"Uh, what did I do?" Yami blatantly asked the smaller captain who clicked her tongue with irritation.

She reached out and grabbed the flower bud from him, her soft fingertips brushing over Yami's rugged knuckles. Her touch made part of him shiver and his finger slightly twitch, asking for more of her touch.

"You aren't supposed to rip off flower buds from the stem," Charlotte emphasized while looking at Yami with a stern look before looking back down at the rose that was now in her small hands, "When you do that you're hurting the plant."

Yami's eyes traveled down with hers, her thumb gently brushed over the velvet-like petals while her fingers that held the rose in place twiddled with it. Yami didn't understand how he was hurting a piece of overgrown grass nor did he understand why she was so hurt over it.

"How am I hurting the plant? It's just some piece of grass, right?," Yami spoke from his mind.

Charlotte looked up at him, her cold blue eyes freezing him right on spot. She looked at him with an annoyed and angry look before rolling her eyes. Sassy, was what Yami thought of her at the second, he gave her a high eyebrow that questioned her even further.

Charlotte let out a heavy sigh mixed with a scoff, "Well, essentially you're killing a part of the plant and taking away its cells that are needed to create its food. And it isn't just some grass, these blue roses are fine, you have to let them grow so that someone can use them or something." Charlotte grumbled as she continued to play with the blue bud.

The infant flower looked much bigger in her small, delicate fingers than when they were in Yamis larger and calloused hands. Yami tried to make sense of her words, why would he care about some plant? It was able to grow the flower back anyways so he really didn't do any harm. The more he thought about it the more he didn't understand but it did look like Charlotte cared a lot about the bush.