Ch. 15 - The Balrog

Legolas's P.O.V.

I was running, whilst carrying Freya. Boromir got in my way, and glared at me. He opened his mouth to say something, but I wasn't going to hang around to find out. "Look, if you're going to pick a fight, don't do it here. We need to move, and fast. Now, if you don't get out of my way now, you, me and Freya are all going to die. Do you want her dead?" I said furiously. Yes, it was cruel. To know that she wanted me, and not him.

He moved over without hesitation. So, it was made perfectly clear. He wanted her, and was going to do all he could to get her. Well, I wasn't going to let her go without her fight. That much was for certain in my heart. I love her and I wasn't about to let her go any time soon. Enough of my mushy thoughts, I needed to get going. I ran as fast as I could to catch up with Aragorn.

"What happened? Is she alright?" Aragorn asked me, very concerned. I knew that he thought of her as a little sister, and loved like one too. "I'm not sure, but she's not injured...Apart from a few bruises and scratches, she'll be fine." He nodded relieved. We continued to run through the damp cavern, but we come surrounded by Orcs. I move behind Aragorn, unable to fight with Freya on me.

To my confusion, they all disappear. Fast. A fearsome roar could be heard, loud and mighty in the distance. "What is this new devilry?" Boromir asked. Gandalf sighed deeply. "A balrog. A demon from the ancient world. This foe is beyond any of you. Run!" He said. I didn't need to be told twice. I had heard legends of such fiends, but never imagined I might encounter one.

I was following Boromir, when he abruptly stopped, and dropped his torch. The end of the path. He teetered dangerously close to the edge of the very long drop. I pulled him back from the edge. I may not get on with him very well at times, but we are all here to do the same thing - get Frodo to the mountain and destroy the Ring.

"Lead them on, Aragorn! The bridge is near. Do as I say! Swords are no more use here!" I could see the conflict in his eyes, but he ushered us onwards, waiting til last. We come to a gap in the staircase, that looks never ending. "Wh-what's going on? Where's Gandalf?" I looked down to see Freya waking up. I set her on her feet, and here the balrog cry. "That is what is going on, and that is where Gandalf is." I replied quietly. I jump, easily, across the gap, and hold out my hand for the next person to cross. This could take some time, but I hope Gandalf comes back soon... I don't want to get lost without him.

Freya's P.O.V.

I took a step forward and jumped, Legolas catching me, and pulling me to safety. I watch him do the same to Boromir, who was holding Merry and Pippin under each arm. Quite amusing actually! I noticed Gandalf was with us again, and felt relief flood through me. Aragorn picked Sam up, and threw him across to Legolas, who caught him, and put him on the ground. Gimli held up a protesting hand. "No one tosses a Dwarf!" He took a leap, but just fell short. Legolas grabbed onto his beard to keep him from falling.

I stifled a giggle with my hand. "Not the beard!" Gimli shouted. I felt the laughter ebb away, as more breaks off from the edge that Frodo and Aragorn are standing on. They scrambled back, but the gap was too far for them to jump. I almost jumped out of my skin, as part of the roof broke and broke the section Frodo and Aragorn were standing on. It became loose from the rest of the stair. It was nerve-wracking to watch, as it tilted, unstable. "Lean forward!" Aragorn shouted at Frodo, making it tilt towards us.

I backed away, not wanting to have it fall on me. The section fell onto the rest of the stair we were on, which allowed the two of them to rejoin us. We kept running, as the enormous piece of stair fell into the abyss. As we ran towards the bridge, the balrog emerged from the chasm behind us. Damn, I had hoped that we wouldn't have to have fought against that, I thought. We were almost safely across the bridge, when Gandalf made his foolish, but very brave stand.

He moved into the center of the bridge, turning to face the demon creature, staff in one hand sword in the other. "You cannot pass." He spoke to the balrog. "Gandalf!" Frodo cried out, worried. I was almost to scared to watch, and threw myself into Legolas's arms, who was conveniently standing next to me at the time. A wave of heated fire spread across the balrog, but Gandalf shouted at it "I am a servant of the secret fire, wielder of the flame of Anor! Dark fire shall not avail you, flame of Udun!" The creature drew a fiery sword, and made a swipe a Gandalf, who blocked it.

"Go back to the shadow! You shall not pass!" Gandalf cried out to it. He slammed his sword into the ground, and a flash of bright, pure white light shot out, and drove the balrog back. It then retaliated, drawing a whip of fire, and stepped onto the bridge. The bridge collapsed, the balrog falling deep into the chasm. Gandalf turns away, but the whip caught his ankle, and pulled him down.

I shrieked and held onto Legolas tighter. He got a brief grasp on the edge of the bridge. "Fly, you fools." He said, breathlessly, before he lost grip completely. I screamed and cried into Legolas's chest heavily. "No!" Frodo shouted. I felt Legolas move me, and I just followed him, staying in his protection. Right now, that was the only place I felt safe. But it was little help, for the agonizing heart break I was feeling. But, I felt like he hadn't really gone...Maybe I was just in shock.