10 | wedding bells

IT WAS THE DAY of Fiona's wedding. And most people would be excited when a close family member or friend was getting married, but Amara's stomach was in a bundle of nerves, all the way up until her and Silvia stepped into the church. The reason was obvious—she was freaking out about seeing Lip there. Maybe a small part of her was worried he'd brought another date, and she would be stuck watching them from across the room with a pit of jealous sat in her gut. Or maybe she was just terrified to see him in general.

There was no denying how gorgeous Fiona looked in her gown, Amara realized that instantly as they got into the back room. She turned as they walked in. "Hey."

"Hi," Amara smiled at her. "You look amazing. Oh, here," she handed her a basket. "I know technically we're supposed to wait until after, but Gloria couldn't make it so she got you uh... Condoms and champagne?"

"And mints," Fiona added, examining the basket as she took it from her, laughing. "Well, tell her I said thanks. Why couldn't she make it?"

Silvia and Amara shared a look, and she caught sight of herself in the mirror. They'd managed to snag two lilac dresses from one of the dry-cleaners up a few blocks away. It must've been fate. Silvia's was a little big on her, and Amara had to clip her straps together so they wouldn't side off her shoulders, but other than that, they were perfect.

"Upset stomach," Amara lied, not wanting to worry Fiona on her wedding day about Gloria's sudden memory loss. She hadn't even been ready when Amara knocked on her door, actually, she'd been knitting two different rows of yarn together, and didn't seem able to recall the event taking place that day. "She's fine. Oh, uh, Margot says congratulations too."

Fiona blinked in surprise, and smiled. "Well, that's a shock."

"Yeah," Amara agreed as Silvia stepped away to help Veronica with her dress. "Three weeks sober, actually. Don't know how long it'll last, but I'm enjoying the income from her."

Fiona's brows raised. "She's got a job?"

Amara half-scoffed, half-laughed. "Yeah, down at the deli on twenty-seventh street."

Fiona shook her head. "I'm surprised."

There was a gentle knock on the door that made them all turn, and Kevin stepped in a second later. "Holy shit. You look fantastic."

Amara could've sworn Fiona almost blushed. "Yeah?"

"Beautiful," Svetlana agreed, straightening the veil.

Kevin was still smiling. "You guys ready?"

"Fiona?" A voice asked, and Debbie appeared. Amara swallowed her shock, Fiona hadn't been sure if her sister would be coming.

"Thank you," Fiona said, stepping closer to her.

"I didn't do it for you," Debbie replied. "I want Franny in the wedding pictures."

Fiona faltered, but then shot her a wink as Ian called from down the hall, and Amara stepped in front with her arm linked through Silvia's. "If you trip in those heels, I'm disowning you. Do not embarrass me in front of all those people."

Silvia smirked and elbowed her in the side. "You're the clumsy one."

Amara nudged her back. "Am not."

"Groomsmen and groom, follow us," the priest said once they reached the room over. Sean hadn't taken his eyes off Fiona, but Amara was looking at Lip. Despite the paleness of his skin, she hated how good he managed to pull off that tux. And she hated it even more that he was staring right back at her.