Chapter 8 // A Good Distraction

After a few moments of just sitting there, staring at my notebook in embarrassment, I finally looked up, not knowing what more to say at the moment.

I was thankful when I saw him begin to write again - although the anticipation of what I was going to read when he finally lifted it up was killing me.

It was like sending an embarrassing text to someone, waiting for their reply when they're right beside you, teasing you with the slow typing of their fingers; unfair, nerve wracking, and agonizing.

I caught the swift movement of him lifting the notebook for me to read, subconsciously straightening my posture.

"So, how have your classes been? Anything interesting?"

I took a minute to think, gathering up all my thoughts on the topic and wondering how deep I should go into my true feelings.

"Not really. They've been okay. I guess I've just had a bit of trouble making friends or something like that, so not going to lie, they've been a bit lonely."I admitted, wondering if I had said too much.

"And here I thought I was the new kid."

I rolled my eyes, avoiding his grinning face.

"Kidding! No, I get it. I've been finding it a bit difficult too, actually. I'm planning on trying out for the football team though, so that should make a bit of a difference. But I have you, so I'm really not looking for much more."

I felt my face become hot again, hesitating to put my marker to the paper.

"What do you mean you're not looking for much more?"

I watched him stare at his notepad for a couple of seconds before slowly writing his thoughts down.

"I've never been the type of person who needs a million friends. Just a couple good ones, and so far you've been pretty amazing. You're funny, nice, charismatic at times, but then shy the next. I love being around you and you make me laugh. What more could I need?"

His straightforwardness shocked me at first, but when I took a minute to let his words sink in, I realized how much they really meant to me, and how much I needed to hear them.

I began wondering if I really was all those things, but when I looked back up, the smile he was giving me made me lose my doubts.

I felt a smile grow more and more as we stared at each other.

I eventually broke our gaze as I began writing my response.

"Thanks - like, seriously - that means a lot." I decided to go with, shyly holding it up.

"No need to thank me, I'm not the one who made you, you - or were you talking to your reflection in the window?"

I just shook my head at his lame joke as he let out a laugh, a goofy smile overtaking his face, letting me forget completely about Madison Haze.