chapter 4

oh , how I love elevators.
See , to my dismay , elevators are not given the attention they deserve. Majestic creatures really. *cough*

I watch as our entire family squash their way into a single elevator , completely ignoring the fact that there are 15 other elevators in that exact same floor. I finally squeeze the final bag through the opening and up we go. Luckily , me and my brother are sharing a room. I say luckily with a straining voice because the only reason I am glad about this is because I am not with my parents. Not because it's my brother.
Never. Because. It's. My. Brother.

We make our way across the narrow hallway past a sea of clone like doors with various numbers on them. We finally reach our door , although now I can't recall the number , let alone the floor. I run in, throw my suitcases with relish onto the bed and fly out on the balcony eagerly. I tilt my head back in the setting sun and close my eyes , smiling. When I lower my head , I can see what exactly our room is facing. A park. A.. Park.. ? I frown and blink twice to see if maybe the time zone has affected my vision. No. Still a park. Puzzled, I grab the map from the back of my shorts and study it. There really IS a park. America continues to surprise me , I think happily to myself.

Four hours later , I'm lying on my bed , with my head buried in a book contently. The music blares in the background and I sigh to myself. "Now this , is a holiday" I say quietly to myself , grinning as I flip the next page.

However , it didn't last long. A loud bang at the door and the shouts of "BELLS GET OUT THE ROOM FOR GODS SAKE" in an exasperated tone was my rude awakening. I mutter angrily to myself and make my way painfully slowly to the door. I fling it open with a strained smile on my face.

"Yeeeeesss?"

My mom pushed her way past me gently and walking to the bed , grabbed my book and shook it , an amused smile lingering on her face. "Bella. A book. Seriously. You know there are lots of teenagers you can social with! Why are you all cooped up here ?!"

I shudder dramatically. "Teenagers"

She laughs , but with a grim expression , pushes my book behind her back. "I am not having another repeat of every single holiday ever. You should go meet people ! You might even meet a nice boy !" She finished with a wink.

I scoffed loudly , "the day I meet a nice boy is the day that giant monkey spiders will take over the earth and eat not only your left arm, but your legs as well"

Clearly not amused at this , she stalks out the room but pauses at the door. "Please Bells. Please?" She pleads , a tender expression on her face.

With that , my resolve crumbles. I sigh one last time and throw my hands in the air. "Fine , but if I meet a serial killer , it's on you" I always have to have the last word. Stubborn as an ass , my friends would say.

She leaves , a satisfied expression on her face. Triumphant almost. Parents-1. Kids-0. I run to my newly unpacked cupboard , throw on washed out torn jeans and a light shirt , anticipating even the hot nights on the ocean.

I grab a jacket , my keycard (god forbid I leave THAT behind) and make my way towards the door as slow as physically possible , dragged my heels , still having second thoughts.

Now it's not that I'm anti social , have anxiety attacks or even despise people altogether , it's just that my insecurities got the better of me. I frown when I pass the mirror and pull at my shirt uncertainly.

A wave of determination passes through me. I straighten up , flick my hair behind my shoulders and smirk , testing it out.

"This time will be different" I recite confidently to myself , "a fresh start , no one knows you. You can be whoever and whatever you want." That became my mantra as I made my way down the corridor , boots slapping the soft carpet. Head held high , this fangirl could tackle even the most cliche, terribly arrogant and painfully boring people. Well , paired with sarcasm , a quick sense of wit and of course creatively killing the insufferable , all using my imagination.