Chapter 1: The Club

"MILAAAAA" I shout running down the stairs out the front of school as she gets out of her car, hugging and waving goodbye to her parents. She turns around to see me, her face lighting up. Her arms open wide for me as I dive in to hug her.

"You're finally 18" I squeal with excitement. "I can't wait for tonight. It is going to be so fun!"

"I feel like you are more excited about me turning 18 then I am" 

Mila laughs and she links her arm through mine as we turn and walk towards school.

Mila and I have been best friends since, well forever I guess. We are in our final year of high school and so ready for it to be over but that being said we both had know idea what we wanted to do after it. The school day couldn't have gone fast enough as that night, I was taking Mila out clubbing for her birthday.

"I'll pick you up at 8, okay Mils?" I say just before hopping into my car

"Yep Lise, I promise you I'll be ready this time" 

she replies with a little laugh and with that we both go home to get ready for what would turn out to be the being of our end.

--------------------------------------

I pull up to Milas' house around 8, get out of the car and walk up to her door knocking on it. Unsurprisingly I am greeted by her father, I swear that man just sits by the door and waits for guests. He is super nice though and I love him as my own dad.

"Hello Annalise, how are you doing hun?" her dad says to me as he gestures for me to come in.

"I'm doing well, thank you Mr Chandler. And yourself? What is it like with an eighteen year old in your house now?" I jokingly hint at the lack of mischief that Mila would cause. He chuckled as left me to go upstairs to find Mila. I get to her door, opening it seeing her room a mess, clothes scattered and piled everywhere. On the top of one of the piles I see Mila, her head in her hands.

"Hey babes, what's wrong?" I question softly putting my arms around her

"I don't know what to wear" Mila sobbs into my dress. I smile, it wouldn't be a night out without one of us having a good eye cleansing before going out.

"Babe look at me" her hazel eyes slowly wander up to my eyes "I'll have you cleaned up in no time" I say brushing a tear away from her cheek and putting her hair behind her ear as she shyly nods at me.

I lift her up and get to work.

"Just like I said, no time at all" I showed her the time on my phone, 8:45pm. She smiles and we stand up to go as she walks over to the mirror eyeing her self up and down. She is wearing a short silk pink dress and her hair is loosely curled on her shoulders.

Note: I do not own this image - all credits go to respective owners

She turns around and hugs me tight whispering and thank you in my ear and we head off.

We had been at this club for about two hours, I think, and we were pretty deep in drinks. Mila had been having boy trouble and we were both keen to get our head off school and the dumb boys. Bopping away to the music and mindlessly sipping our drinks, I started to feel a bit dizzy and looked to Mila who had already seemed to read my mind. As we both stumbled off to the bathroom I could feel someone watching me but I shrugged it off as the alcohol needed to leave my system.

After emptying my stomach contents in the toilet it was mutually decided home was in desperate need so we left without another thought.

We walked arm in arm down the street to the train station as we walked past a group of men sitting on the steps of some shop.

"Hey there pretty ladies, where are you going" one called out whilst others whistle.

We kept walking as another man joined in.

"Oi, babes we can show you a good time. Come on, get back here"

We sped up our pace and soon they were out of our earshot. Both of our arms were tightly intertwined with one another's and our once sleepy eyes were now wide open. My jaw was clenched and I could feel my pulse in my stomach. We were about 500 meters away from the train station and so close to home.

Suddenly the street went quiet and only the click of our heels on the pavement could be heard. Well for about 10 seconds. I heard footsteps behind us and my head spun around to see two figures about 20 meters away from us. I tugged on Milas arm and she knew exactly what I meant. We looked around to see if there was anyone else in the street with us, someone we could yell to for help if we needed it. But of course there wasn't. So we did what any normal person would do. We started to run.