Chapter 10: The door

WARNING: This chapter contains sexual assault towards the end. This may be triggering/distressing for some viewers so please do not read if this affects you. I have also put another warning before it.

After Mason had marched me back up to his room, he had locked me in. I wasn't sure what I had done wrong but after a while, I decided that he just had some business to attend to. I didn't see him much for the rest of the day, which I did not mind at all.

Bailee came into the room a few times, once to check on me and then another to change the bedsheets. I gathered that she must be his head maid because she always seemed to be near whenever something needed tiding. We didn't exchange any words but we did exchange looks. Her eyebrows pulled together and lowered as we made eye contact. Bailee quickly looked away, I continued to stare at her. There was nothing else to look at in this room that I had spent most of my time in.

I also decide to stare at her to make her feel uncomfortable. I know I know, probably could have been nicer but I was mad so unfortunately, she was getting some of my anger. She wasn't exactly keeping me here, but she also wasn't doing anything to help me get out. Sure she was nice enough in the few exchanges we had had, but she had called Mason 'master' so that meant her loyalty lay with that monster. After she had made the bed, she was quick to leave obviously feeling a little guilty she couldn't help me.

I think it had been about 6 hours since Mason left me here, he refused to let me have a clock or any way to tell time. It was quite unusual, I wasn't sure he didn't want me to know the time but it did make it rather annoying for me to pass the days. You know when you are not having fun, locked in a room in the middle of nowhere and all, and you don't have a way to tell time, everything goes ten times slower - yeah that was me.

I realised that Mason wouldn't have left my room unguarded but I didn't remember hearing the lock click last time Bailee went out. Creeping over to the door, ensuring that I made no sound at all, I placed my ear on the door. I could hear a radio, I think, clicking on and off. It sounded like I was just on a local server, probably just Mason's men situated around his house, keeping up to date.

I slowly opened the door and saw Archie standing in front of the door, with his back facing me. He was tall but not as tall as Mason, probably about 6"1, he still towered my 5"9 body. The door must have creaked because he spun around and made eye contact with me. He narrowed his eyes and began coming towards me, but I quickly raised my hands in defense, holding them up and showing that I didn't want any trouble. He was also very toned from what I could see from how his uniform sat on him.

His facial features, while intimidating, were much softer than Masons. His eyes shone a light blue while they glared at me.

"What are you doing Annalise? Mason will not like it if you try anything." He said

"I was just bored and I wanted a drink." I said, hoping that my lie would not shine through.

"Right" He didn't sound convinced.

"Well seen as you're here now, I'm bored and I want someone to talk to," I whined

"Well, I could always see what Mason was doing, Hm, would you like that?" He teased.

"No. No that won't be necessary" I quickly said.

"Can I ask you some questions?" I added on, hoping for a yes. Maybe not everyone in this awful place was as bad as the next.

"Fine, but I'm only yes or no answers will be given."

Good, that was a start. Archie remained standing, with the door open. He had turned his back towards it and resumed his position of upright posture and hands firmly held behind his back. I sat down on the floor a few meters away from him and began.