Chapter 8-

I was asleep in Piper's old bed. Mom and Dad were asleep as if the whole house has shut off.

"Ashley," I could hear Alex's voice from the window.

"What?!" I whispered, now half asleep.

"I love you," Alex said.

"I love you too," I said. I closed the window. I then went back to bed.

(DREAM)

"Where the heck's my daughter?!" my old mom said. She was at the door of my house. I walked and hid myself.

"Get out, Mom!" I shouted. "Please! I have a new family, I don't need you!" She slammed the door and left.

"What's wrong with you, Ashley?!" Dad said.

"Yeah!" Mom shouted.

(END OF DREAM)

I screamed. Mom and Dad came scrambling in as I was panting.

"What's wrong?" Mom said in shock.

"My biological Mom came back, it's true!" I replied.

"It's just a dream," Mom said, "It's just a dream," I laid back looking at Piper's blue lava lamp, my laptop was plugged in next to it. I fell asleep while Mom left the room.

Morning came and I felt the warm Itailan sun on my face. I put my white slippers on and left my bedroom. Mom had pancakes going downstairs.

"I want to go back to Africa," I mumbled. I wanted to be in California, and none of this would ever happen.

"Ashley," Mom came in. "Your biological mom's been jailed back in America accused of murder, abuse, violence, and stealing. The guards decided to ship her back to America for safety reasons." SHE'S FINALLY IN JAIL!!

"She ran out of jail," Dad said. "Police are looking for her,"

"Can I go next door?" I asked. Alex was outside looking for me.

"You may," Mom said. I ran out of the house and shut the door.

"Alex!" I shouted.

"Ashley Rae!" We hugged. "So happy to see you again!"

"Me too!" He let me go back onto the ground. Alex and I held hands and walked to the wooden bench in Alex's backyard. We sat down.

"So how's life?" Alex said.

"Homeschooled with great parents who let me do anything, pretty happy,"

"Robin, my guardian, said that they lost their 2 kids a month and a half ago, Robin lost her youngest son in the same crash,"

"What happened?" I said.

"Her son, Carter, was the same age as Patrick was, Robin already lost her husband along time ago, when Carter was 3. Carter's siblings included Brooke, who's 28 now, Grace, who's 25, and Mason, who's 21. Carter was an unexpected baby, but everyone was happy when he was born. Patrick and Carter would always play in either yard for a very long time. They were best friends since they both were in diapers. Robin can tell you the whole story, let's walk in,"

Alex and I went in his house.

Robin, who was much older than my parents, looked at me and smiled.

"Are you his girlfriend?" Robin said.

"Tell her the story about the bus crash," Alex ordered.

"I am," I said. "Ashley,"

"Ok, have a seat," Robin sat down at the table as we did.

"Well, Carter and Patrick were both 11 when they died. Brooke saw the crash happen on her way home from work and saw what Piper, who was 15, did. The Itailian School bus was full of children and conversation was happening. Patrick and Carter were sitting together and Piper and her friends sat together. The bus reached the bridge and collide with a driver driving the wrong way. Piper came up out of her seat and called for Patrick to pull the emergency door open as they were hitting water. Carter and Patrick opened their emergency window. Patrick led the fellow students out and Carter took them to a place of safety. Carter also did this with the bus driver. Piper used the back and led people out that way. The bus continued sinking and the kids had little time. Both doors opened ended up saving all of the children's lives. Carter was getting Patrick out of the bus when they died. Piper was pushing Patrick out of the bus hoping Patrick and Carter would make it. Piper died in the river, Patrick and Carter were seriously injured. Brooke called as soon as the crash ended. The driver came in the hospital room and told us what happened that morning."

"Wow," I said. She was tearing up.

"Your mother and father were crying for both their children, I comforted them. We sat with our son's and held their hands both during the day. Carter's siblings then came in at 7 o'clock and talked to both Carter and Patrick, which they couldn't respond back. Then 9 pm came, and Patrick was suffering first. I remember your mom crying into Patrick's hand, saying 'You need to live', 'I can't lose you too,' and 'I'll miss you.' By 9:15, Patrick died, leaving 2 grieving parents. The parents kept asking me 'Why does this happen?', I had to shrug my head and say I don't know and they left. I said the same words to Carter, he died the next morning at 8:32 am. We had the memorial services and everybody we knew was there. I just had to let it out of my mind that 2 best friends were dead. Patrick's girlfriends' mom said that they're enjoying life in heaven right now," My heart ached for both of our families.

Mom was sending a video on my phone. The cover showed my biological Mom pointing at the play button.

"Alex," I whispered.

"No need to whisper,"

"Watch this with me!" Alex and I sat on his couch and I hit the play button.

"I want my daughter, Ashley Rae Harnan to come back, if someone has adopted her, please be kind and give her back. Long Blonde hair, Green eyes, 6 feet 2 inches, she wants me back," I didn't want to go back at all.

"I need to change my identity!" I said in a alertful tone. I looked up at Alex and he watched the video again.

"She's supposed to be put to death," Alex said.

"Wow,"

"Ashley!" I heard Mom's voice. I left Alex's yard and went in the house.

"Here's Piper's and Patrick's school books," They were like those memory books. I looked in Piper's first.

She went to school at Palm Main International Academy in Ostia from Preschool to the middle of 9th grade, when she died. The first page was titled, "Preschool", and Piper had black hair, freckles and glasses in her school picture. I pulled her name drawings and looked at them. She wrote her name perfectly. I put the name sheets back and couldn't read anymore.