Chapter 3 - Ratatoskr

Right now, Kotori was explaining a couple of things to the twins. Syouji had an empty expression and was nodding with his eyes half-opened, while Shidou had a look of confusion.

"ーSo, this here is the monster that we call a Spirit, and here is the AST. They're JGSDF's Anti Spirit Team. You've gotten yourself into a pretty worrisome situation. If we hadn't recovered you, you'd probably have died two or three times by now. So, onto the next thing—"

"W-Wait a moment!" Shidou raised his voice, trying to hold back Kotori who was explaning at a rather fast pace.

"What is it? After all the trouble this commander is going through to directly give you an explanation. If you're going to cry, then do so with more dignity. Since it's like this, I can at least give you the special privilege of licking the bottom of my foot."

Lightly raising her chin, with a gaze that looked down on Shidou as if he was some deplorable animal, a stream of abuse that was not Kotori-like flowed from her mouth.

"Re-Really!?"

The voice filled with great glee came from the one standing beside Kotori, Kannazuki. Kotori instantly replied "not you" and elbowed him in the stomach.

"Gah...!"

Watching that exchange, Shidou opened his mouth in surprise.

It was indeed a very strange sight. Upon this, Syouji let out a sigh of relief. At the very least, it was comforting to know that she was safe.

"...Ko-Kotori... Is that you? You were safe?" Shidou questioned with relief in his voice.

"Yes. No matter how you look at it, Shi-bro, that's Kotori. Our little sister. How? Dunno. Just let her explain." Syouji said that nonchalantly while looking at Kotori with an empty expression.

"What's this? did you forget your little sister's face, Shidou? I knew you were bad at remembering things, but I hadn't expected it to be this bad. Maybe it'd be a good idea to reserve a spot at a retirement home right now."

A line of sweat rolled down Shidou's face. He pinched his cheek as he winced in pain, while Syouji covered his mouth, feeling like tears could come out any moment.

He was just so proud of Kotori. However, somehow, he managed to hold it in after taking a deep breath.

"Damn. Roasted. Burnt." Syouji said while pretending to pour water on his arm, "apply cold water to the burned area."

Scratching the back of his head, Shidou let out a troubled voice.

"...Somehow, I'm so confused it's like the inside of my head has become Crocodile Panic. What the hell is going on? Or rather, where am I? What are these people? Alsoー"

"Ugh... shut up!"

Shidou was opening his mouth and the words came out swiftly. Thinking he was talking too fast, Syouji interrupted him, delivering a punch to his shoulder.

Kotori nodded saying, "okay, okay" and held out her palm to stop the two from arguing.

"Calm down. If I can't understand what you're asking, there's no way I can answer it."

Saying this, Kotori pointed to the screen in the bridge. There, the black haired girl that the twins had encountered earlier, as well as the humans clad in mechanical armor, were being displayed.

"Uhmm... did you say... Spirit?" Shidou asked while scratching his cheek.

"Yes. She is a being that did not exist in this world originally. Just by appearing in this world, not by her own will or anything like that, the surrounding area would be blown away."