Chapter 16 - A Rainy Day

"...Haaa..."

Shidou let out a long and heavy sigh as Syouji walked alongside him with a blank expression as if not caring about anything.

Fatigue had set into Shidou's face, and somehow, even the fringe that was almost entirely covering his eyes had lost its shine.

"...Haaa." He sighed once more, this time being a bit louder.

In the end, Tohka and Origami had started quarrelling, with Shidou and Syouji having to intervene.

Although Tohka enrolled just a month ago into the same Raizen High School that the twins were attending, the two would have competitions every single day.

Then, noticing Shidous condition, Syouji spoke up.

"Alright, Shidou, what's wrong? You've been sighing like that for a while now. I didn't even know it was possible for a person to breathe so loudly."

Syouji pointed out as Shidou let out another sigh.

"..." There was silence for a moment and Shidou was shaking his head, while holding onto it with his hands.

"Seriously, can't those two just get along...?" After a pause, Shidou finally replied as Syouji let out a chuckle.

Shidou lowered his head gloomily, while sobbing silently.

"Yeah, but... think about it this way. Until a month ago, both of their goals would have been to take each other's life. Now, they're just competing... I'd say this is a step in the right direction. Most likely. Probably. I mean, it should be, right?"

Syouji said, trying to cheer him up, but it seems to have failed.

"But if this goes on, then my body probably wouldn't last... how are you keeping up with them?" Shidou then released his biggest sigh yet.

Haaa...

"Hmm...? Who said I was? I'm just really good at concealing it. Also, is it just me or is it about to rain?"

Syouji said raising his hand and at that moment, he felt a drop of rain hit his palm. Whereupon, Shidou lifted his head up.

"...Uwaa" He groaned and a frown appeared on his face.

Then, Before they knew it, the sky was getting covered by heavy gray clouds.

"Rain, huh? didn't the weather forecast say it was going to be a clear fine day?"

He ranted against the weather forecaster whose recent predictions have been off the mark.

"And you believed it? " Syouji asked. then, at that moment, large water droplets started to stain the asphalt road.

"This doesn't look good, run Shidou!" Syouji yelled running, while using his bag as a makeshift umbrella.

"Argh, damn it..." Shidou grunted and followed as they hurriedly jogged home. However, in the blink of an eye the rain intensified.

"Hey, hey, you can't be serious..." Shidou frowned his eyebrows in annoyance.

"It's a pain, but just run faster." Syouji said as heat eminated from my body and I felt a bit stronger as I began to run faster. However, immediately after turning right at a T-junction...

"Ah... hey Syouji hold on!" In the middle of the downpour, Shidou suddenly stopped running.

"huh?" Syouji looked at Shidou while panting.

"A girl...?" Shidou pointed with a concerned look.

he stared at the direction where he was pointing and saw a girl wrapped in a mantle with a cute design, wrapped around her body and was forming a small shadow.