Chapter 39 - Dreams and voices

It's blurry. Why is everything blurry?

Why am I feeling deep despair? a sense of hopelessness...

Yet, it's blurry...

Syouji's vision was misty, due to the tears accumulating in his eyes.

Why does it feel like he's forgetting something? something that he must not forget.

Right now, Syouji was alone and sitting under a tree.

Moments before, he was being bullied by the other children in the neighborhood. However, there in front of him, a girl with white hair stood in front of him.

"O-Origa—" He was about to thank her. However, before he could do so, a large explosion occurred.

"Dad, Mom!"

At this moment, the girl ran away and a voice called out. A familiar voice pulsated through his eardrums.

"Syouji" Standing there, Shidou stood with a bag in his hand.

"Shi.... dou." As Syouji spoke he suddenly remembered something important.

Ah. That's right.

Syouji looked to his left and found a paper bag wrapped in beautiful paper. This was the gift he prepared for Kotori, which the other children pestered him for.

—Who would gift their little sister a black ribbon and a folder?

—What kind of older brother are you?

The previous words said to him before echoed in his mind. However, suddenly his shoulder jolted up as a hand fell on his shoulder.

"It's fine. She'll like it. Now, let's go make sure she's safe!" Shidou yelled as Syouji grabbed the bag and ran towards their home.

However, the surroundings which were peaceful and recognizable, were now covered in flames as if the whole world was thrown into a blazing inferno.

Even so, Syouji followed behind Shidou who still did not stop his footsteps.

"Kotori!"

"Kotori...!"

Calling out that name, they made their way through the streets of what seemed to be an underground hell.

Syouji was in a daze. He could not comprehend the situation happening around him, even though it should have been clear by now.

But it can't be helped. The streets around them were now engulfed in a sea of flames.

Today was Kotori's tenth birthday.

Syouji went to buy a present for her and was discovered by the children in the neighborhood, who chastised him for his choice of gifts. They did not understand the sentiment of the gift.

Perhaps this was the reason why Syouji avoided such a disaster. However, now the problem was Kotori was still at home. It was her birthday, yet their parents were not at home due to work as usual. Currently, only Kotori was home.

Long ago, when the twins were abandoned by their birth mother, Syouji remembered wishing for a cute little sister, and Shidou was wallowing in the depths of despair. At that time, he wanted to be strong for him, and so he put away his own feelings of despair and comforted him.

Like this, even though Shidou's emotions have now become stable, Syouji still couldn't help but feel like he needed to be strong for him. However, Syouji was saved by his foster parents as well as Kotori.

So this time, it's his turn. No. it's their turn to save her. If it's for Kotori Syouji and Shidou would not hesitate to put their lives on the line.

"Kotori!!"