t h i r t y

I had been staring at my phone for the past five minutes. Just thinking. Maybe I should call him. Or maybe he was doing something this Friday night. On his birthday night.

I hadn't seen Dick all day today. I didn't have pre-calc today which I loved but hated. Big 22. Yikes. Maybe he was at a strip club. I want to go to a strip club, shut up Rory.

I sighed and threw my body back onto my bed, kicking my phone off my bed so it landed on my rug.

Birthday sex doesn't sound so bad right now, but it wasn't my birthday. And I stopped speaking to Dick on Wednesday. Actually, it was yesterday, when he decided I needed to run an extra lap for not trying hard enough on my basketball shots.

Fuck it, I immediately crawled off my bed and snatched my phone, quickly unlocking it. I entered my home screen after three failed attempts and reached for the cell app. To nobody's surprise, I had favorited Dicks number.

I pressed on his contact but froze immediately. My thumb hovered over the call button. What if he didn't answer? Was it all over? Was my pettiness too petty for him? I might as well try to reach him. It wouldn't hurt to try.

I pressed the call button and let my phone ring. I bit onto my fingers, half of me regretting what I did. I shoved my back against the side of my bed and wanted to jump off the roof of my apartment building. I looked back down at my phone and saw he hadn't picked up yet.

Suddenly, his voicemail answered me. I hung up before the beep and went to throw my phone across my room until I felt it vibrate. I turned my phone over and saw Dicks caller ID on my screen. What do I do? Answer dumbass.

I pressed on the green caller icon and held my phone against my ear. I didn't want to be the first to speak so I waited until I heard his voice.

"Rory?" I heard his voice ring. I closed my eyes and bit my lip before responding:

"Hey, Dick" I practically whispered into my mic. I curled my toes and scratched at my rug, feeling the awkward tension between us through the phone.

"Hey, is everything alright?" Dick asked. I wanted to see his face so badly but his voice was enough to keep me satisfied.

"Yeah, I just wanted to say, um, happy birthday " I told him, resting my head back against my bed.

"Thank you" Dick cleared his throat and I heard him shuffle around. Maybe he was busy doing something. I should hang up.

"What are you doing?" I shyly asked. I stared outside my glass wall, watching as the clouds in the sky were so close to me. The night sky was extra ordinary tonight.

"Getting ready for bed" Dick chuckled. I felt the corner of my lips turn into a grin. Until I realized.

"You don't have plans for your birthday?" I questioned. Fuck, why was I practically investigating him? You sound desperate. Maybe because I am.

I thought Dick would respond but instead, he sighed into the phone, and the both of us said nothing. Here we go again, with the awkward pauses.

"I uh, I did but-"

"Do you wanna come over?" I interrupted him, a little too quick for my liking. I unconsciously slapped my forehead at my stupidity. Pinching the bridge of my nose, I hoped Dick would hang up before I said anything else to add to the embarrassment I felt.

"Oh?" I heard him exhale, "I thought you didn't want to see me"

"I don't think anyone should be celebrating their birthday alone" I said with a small laugh at the end. The sudden jitters came back to me from the first couple of times Dick and I had talked. I quickly stood up and kicked the air to relieve the butterfly's swarming my stomach.