Chapter 4: Confused

Sophie's POV

Alpha Rick had a huge smile on his face and congratulated me.

I gave him a shaky smile and say, "thanks"

The little gears in my brain were still trying to figure out why Luke came out of my mouth.

"So, Sophia when did you find out my son was your mate?" alpha Rick asks.

I shrug. I don't even know why Luke's name came out of my mouth in the first place.

Alpha Rick gives me a concerned look. Mates weren't a joking matter, it was serious business. Mates were your soul mate. Your other half and you don't feel complete without them. So who would joke about it?

"Sophia, how old are you?" he asks.

"Next week I'm turning 16" I tell him.

His nose scrunches up as he starts thinking.

It takes me awhile, but I realize I can't know who my mate is. My wolf has yet to awaken before I'm able to identify who my mate is.

All female werewolves are able to find their mate once they're 16. Female werewolves go through the shift when they turn 16. Hopefully by then, their other half has already found them.

For male werewolves, they're able to find their mates when they're 15 and shift when they're 14.

If a male wolf finds his mate before she is 16 he has to find a way to convince her that she is his mate. The female wolf is oblivious to who their mate is even if the facts are obvious. She won't know for sure until she is 16.

I hope my mate finds me before I shift. Once I have my mate, the shift won't be a problem. I can't wait to find the one who will cherish me.

I've been dreaming of finding my mate. I wanted to be like my parents, they were the perfect example for mates. I couldn't wait to be just like them, they were always so happy.

Then alpha Rick clears his throat, which snaps me out of my thoughts.

"Sophia weren't you supposed to be in school?" he asked.

I smile and say, "not today."

Alpha Rick gives me a questioning look.

"I start tomorrow" I tell him.

He nods and takes his now empty plate to the sink and goes upstairs.

"Since you seem to be so close with Luke, you'll be riding with him to school." uncle Ray suddenly said.

"Okay, oh and could I borrow your car?" I ask while bringing my empty plate to the sink too.

I hope he'll let me.

"Why?" he asks, as he narrows his eyes.

"Cause..."

"Because...?"

"I need to go shopping." I state as if it were obvious.

"No." he said.

Dang it!

"Why not?" I ask.

"The last time I let you "borrow" my car, you ended up with a half smashed car, a hangover, half naked and on the news. Acting like an insane woman begging for tears to drink, that's why."

I cringe at the mention of that horrible memory. So I made some mistakes one night. It wasn't my fault those Little Monsters tricked me.

"That was only one time, I haven't done that since."