Chapter 23

Introductions

"I thought you were off today." Bailey said, sliding out of the passenger seat and lifting her backpack over her shoulder cautiously.

"I was but I got called in." TK said.

"And I'm here because..." Bailey tapered off.

TK chuckled.

"Because you told me last week that you had written your English paper," He said, leaning against the hood of the car. "And tell me Bailey, did you do that?"

Bailey froze, looking everywhere but at her father.

"I...started it." She said.

"Bailey." TK deadpanned.

"Okay, I created the document." She said.

"Bailey." TK said, looking at his hands.

"But I haven't finished reading the book yet." Bailey confessed.

"Yeah."

"How did you even find out?" Bailey asked.

"Next time you're trying to sneak something like that by me or your dad, don't leave your planner open on the kitchen table with a sticky note on it with 'FINISH READING BOOK' and 'WRITE ENGLISH PAPER' written in all-caps." TK said slipping the planner out of the side of his duffel and holding it out to her.

Bailey quietly took the planner and shifted from the balls of her feet to her heels and back again.

"I'm sorry for lying to you." She said.

"It's fine Bails," TK said. "But you are going to write it today."

Bailey nodded.

"Hence why I'm here instead of at home." She said.

"Happy Sunday kiddo." TK said.

"This is going to be a long day." She said.

Together they walked into the firehouse where TK immediately pointed Bailey in the direction of the dining room table. Bailey rolled her eyes as she sat down. She understood her father's annoyance, though she was still annoyed that he was making her write it at the firehouse instead of leaving her at home to do it.

"Hey kiddo." Nanci smiled, perching on the table next to where Bailey had set up.

"Hey." Bailey said.

"You look glum," Nanci said. "Why are you glum?"

"I'm on lockdown." Bailey said, glancing over to where TK was pouring himself a cup of coffee.

Nanci's brow furrowed.

"Lockdown?" She asked.

"I lied to dad about my English paper and told him that I'd written it when I hadn't." Bailey explained.

Nanci nodded.

"So now he's having you write it here." She said.

"Yup." Bailey said.

"What's it on?" Nanci asked.

"The Scarlet Letter." Bailey said sliding into her seat and poking at the novel sitting next to her laptop.

"What about The Scarlet Letter?" Nanci asked.

"I'll let you know when I figure it out." Bailey sighed.

"You could discuss the values of the Puritan society in which the main characters live, and how these values conspire against them throughout the novel." Nanci offered.