12: The Ladder

Practice, yeah right. That was so fake-

Selena left Nick standing out in the corridor all by himself. She didn't bother to tell Frankie about changing the song; she was proud of her own handwritten masterpiece, if Nick didn't like it, she wouldn't give a damn, because all she knows is that the song is for him, and she is over him. She only did this for the sake of his mother.

"Selena, honey, you were gone for a long time-" Denise had her arms wide open as Selena glided into the kitchen. She smiled at Denise and hugged her, "Oh, Nick just wanted to tell me some things about the rumors on the internet-"

"Yeah, they said you guys broke up-"

"Paul!" Denise exclaimed, Selena was still silent, hoping that they wouldn't realize that she and Nick really did break up. Nick walked into the room, questioning all the noise. 

"Sorry, Nicholas, your father was just being himself for a moment there," Denise said, hugging her second youngest son. Nick chuckled like his dad was right, "I'm sure dad knew what he was reading was fake- I'm right here! With Selena, so... yeah."

Selena rolled her eyes in Demi's direction and she shrugged, smiling.

"Yeah, I know..." Paul said, turning back to whatever he was doing.

"Alright, I should go finish up the wallpapers, now..." Nick trailed off, awkwardly, as he inched towards the hallway.

(Joe...)

Joe watched as Nick stepped into the living room, he was still up in the ladder, wishing someone could just... get him some more wallpaper!

"Nick, that was so close!" Joe hissed, he, like everybody else in the house, had heard the conversation in the kitchen with Paul, Denise, Selena, and Nick. Though, no one except Demi, Joe, Selena, and Nick , knew that what they were saying were all lies.

"Yeah, sure, close-" Nick folded his arms on his chest and leaned on the table, a smirk clearly displayed on his face. "I made up- the best excuse that will probably last us another decade!" he said, proudly as Joe rolled his eyes.

"What do you mean, another decade?" Joe asked as he gestured for another piece of wallpaper. "Y' know, I just told them that the real news were RUMORS!" Nick said, his voice low as he passed up the sheet. Joe took it from him and nodded, "Smart, who taught you that?" he said, this time; it was him who was smirking.

"What do you mean, I was the one who came up with it- Right. On. The. Spot!" Nick emphasized. 

Joe smiled, nodding. Although, his face still looked unconvinced.

Nick who was still mad at Selena, grabbed the ladder and shook it- "Hey, Hey, hey!" Joe yelled, gripping on the side of the ladder. Nick clenched his fists as Joe looked down at his angry brother. "What the hell man, you could've killed me-"

Paul, who heard all the noise, rushed into the room, grabbing Nick by the shoulders. Selena also came into the room, her eyes widened as she processed what Nick was about to do- "Oh my God, Nick!" she yelled. 

Paul grabbed his son and pulled him down on the couch, "Nick, what's happening, son?" he said, his voice tensed. Nick was fuming, he shook his and looked down, refusing to answer his father. 

Selena sat next to him as Joe slowly climbed down the ladder, his face was red; angry at Nick. Selena placed her hand on Nick's hand and he quickly jerked it off. His father was questioned by this, why was acting weird towards Selena when she was his girlfriend?

"Sir- can we have some time alone, please?" Selena said softly at Nick's father. He nodded and glared at Nick. Joe was sitting at the bottom of the ladder, trying to calm himself down. Nick was still looking down at his fingers.

"Nick, what was that!?" Selena said, her voice slightly rising. 

Nick pressed his lips together and stared at Joe, "Nothing-" he started, looking back down at his fingers. Selena glanced at Joe, "You okay?" she asked, hoping he wouldn't jump at her or Nick. Joe shook his head, sighing, "I'm okay, but I'm worried about him, what were you guys talking about out in the hallway?" 

"It's none of your goddamn business!" Nick snapped, making Selena jump, slightly.

"Okay, okay, forget I ever asked," Joe said, coldly. 

Selena shook her head, getting up from the couch, "Nick, if you're not gonna say sorry, I'm telling your mom!" Selena said, tilting her head. Nick shrugged like he didn't care, "Go tell her, I don't give a fuck- she can't make me say sorry!"

"Yes, I can," Denise said, she was standing at the doorway, her hands on her hips. Joe's eyes widened at the sight of his mother, all scary-looking. "Selena, honey, you can go help Demi with all the fruits, I'll deal with these boys."

Selena inched towards the door, smiling a toothy grin at Denise, who obviously smiled back.

Selena took a glance back at Nick who was now glaring at her. She shrugged and shot him a dirty look. 

"Nicholas, what did you do?" Denise started, making her way to stand in front of him and Joe. Joe's gaze met with Nick's, who quickly looked away. "See?" Nick spat at his mother. "You don't even know what I did, and now you're standing here, acting like you know everything that's going on in my head! You don't mom, so if you knew better, start keeping up with things instead!"

Joe was taken aback by all the words Nick had said. Even Selena stopped in the hallway to listen to Nick say all those things to his mother. Denise didn't flinch, instead she said back, "Well Nicholas-"

"Don't call me that!" Nick yelled again. Paul bumped past Selena in the hallway as he stormed into the room, "Mind your tone, young man!" he boomed, Joe shook his head in amusement. Everyone knew raising their voice at mom was a bad idea, even Nick knew that.

"Whatever," Nick mumbled. Denise continued, her voice not rising one bit, "Well, you still have something to say to Joe," she said, glancing at Joe. Nick sighed, giving up, "I'm sorry, Joe, I shouldn't have let my emotions control me- I could've killed you- I'm sorry, dude."

Joe nodded, "It's all good, I was just worried." They hugged it out and Denise had tears in her eyes. "Mom, don't cry-" Nick started, pouting a little. He then hugged his mother, "I'm sorry for saying all those horrible things about you- you have every right to be mad at me, I'm so sorry-"

"It's okay, Nicholas," Denise said, wiping her tears with a handkerchief. "I'm just happy you made up with Joe, that's all." Nick pulled away from his mother and walked out of the room, smiling at Joe and his mother. 

Walking out into hallway, he bumped into Selena, who trying to walk away quietly. "Nick I was just about to-"

He grabbed her by the shoulders and pushed his lips onto hers, kissing her with passion. 

Word Count: 1187