2nd Chapter

My name is Aleksandra Gagarina. I was born seventeen years ago in Odessa, city on Ukranian coast. I was born as twin sister of Dmitry, my brother which was my whole world.

When we were only three years old, our mother Nastya died while she was giving a birth. Unfornaltley, both her and child died during that. My father Anatoly was devastated with that.  She was his childhood love, and mother of his two children. Now he had to do it all alone. Work on field and take care of children which were young.

It was really heard for my father so he searched for a new wife. Her name was Maria. She was few years younger than my father, and she was most arrogant woman I have met in my life.

Maria never accepted us as her children. She never treated us well. When we were five years old, she gave birth to a daughter named Viktoria. My father was really in love with Maria so he was doing whatever she would tell him.

Maria always forced Dmitry and me to do hard work, while she would be at home and do nothing. She treated us like we are her slaves, not children of her husband.

As my father was on Maria's impact, he started behaving like her. He always ignored us and forced us to do whatever they whished. He loved Viktoria more than us.

As we were growing up, Maria's only wish was to get rid of us. She couldn't wait for the day of my seventeen birthday, so she could find me potential husbands. She just wanted to get rid of me.

And for her happiness, that day finally came. 15th May, sunny day. I turned 17 years old. Maria was really happy because that day she could search for my potential husbands so she could get rid of me.

I woke up early in the morning so I shouldn't listen to Maria's early morning rage. Together with my twin brother, I went to the seashore, watching the waves and smelling the smell of the sea. Last time free.

- Dmitry, you know that she is going to find me potential husband today. I think she already has a plan who is that going to be. She just want me to go away from her. - I said to him as I felt really bad on my birthday, the day I should have been the happiest.

- Aleksandra, my sister, I promise you I will always be with you. Don't be sad today because of her, you will be happier when you go away from her. - he said to me as he tried to comfort me.

- It is easier for you Dima, you are male. You will find woman which you like and marry her. I will have to be with someone I don't like. - I said to him as I sighed.

- Don't you remember how many times when I was younger I laughed how I would rather go to be Janissary in Ottoman Empire so I could go away from her. - Dmitry said in laugh as he remembered our childhood.

Every year, Ottoman army Janissaries were coming to our place as they searched for girls to sell them as slaves in Ottoman Empire, and for boys to become members of their army, Janissaries.

- I was never with you in those ideas, but believe me, now I would rather be slave to them that be slave to Maria as I am already now. - I said as I laughed and looked at the sea waves.

- Don't you say that twice, because you never know if that might happen. - someone who was standing behind us told. I turned around and I saw our younger sister Viktoria.

I never got along very well with her. She was just like her mother, she had her head high acting like a queen.

- Vika, how long have you been standing behind us? - Dmitry asked her as he was surprised she was here.

- Long enough to hear you gossiping about my mother. - she said and she sat next to us. She seemed to be really happy this time.

- But you two should keep words like that to yourselves, I am sure you wouldn't like to be a slave and a janissary. - Vika told looking at both of us.

- That was just a joke, Vika. No one would like to be something like that. - I said as I smiled.

- No, I am serious Aleksandra. Look there. It's Ottoman ship there. - Vika said pretty seriously and pointed at the sea.

We saw the Ottoman navy approaching us by ship. We knew that meant that they came to the port and took whoever was in front of them. We got up quickly and started running towards the house. We informed everyone we saw along the way to take shelter in their homes.

We locked the doors of our home so they couldn't come in. Many girls from our city were took by them, and they never returned back.

Maria and my father were sitting at the table and they looked pretty upset. They were looking at us seriously and didn't want to tell us anything.

- We need to have a talk. - my father said and he showed us to sit next to them. Viktoria, Dmitry and I went to the table and sat next to them.

I was afraid what could have happened because I don't remember when I have seen my father so upset and serious as he is this time. I know something was on his mind.

- We have no money anymore, we don’t have money to raise you children anymore. - he said and took deep breath.

- I already know that means that you will marry me to someone. - I said to him as I knew where this talk would lead.

- No, Aleksandra, no. That won't help us because we have no money to raise any of you anymore, so we made up a decision. - my father said and he looked like he is about to start to cry.

- Wait, you will marry me too? But I am too young. You can't do that. I am not even thirteen years old. - Vika said and she looked like she will start screaming at them.

- No, Vika, my love, no.. - Maria started saying to her, but she stopped because she was about to start crying.

- We have to sell you to the Ottomans. Dmitry, they will take you to their army. You will have good life there. - my father said to Dmitry which was shocked by what he heard.

- Aleks, Vika, unfornatley you know what that means. You will go to Istanbul as slaves. May God be with you, that is only thing we could have done to afford you good life. - my father said and burst into tears.