The Emperor || Part 1

TW: SWEARING, YELLING, BLOOD, VIOLENCE

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today was the election. I wiped the sleep out of my eyes as I sat on the back verandah with the guitar lying next to me. I don't know how long I'd been sitting here, only that I had been here since before the sun rose over the trees in the east. The morning air was freezing but I was too numb to feel it. I was wrapped in my loose plaid pants and a black hoodie. 

My head was swarming with worries like a hornet's nest. Buzzing, loud angry. The voices were like the hornets, my head was their hive, a catacomb of tunnels and pathways that lead to different places of myself. The hornets were in every single square inch of it. 

I'd seen birds from the trees peck seeds and bugs from the long meadow grasses. I'd seen the wild herd of horses graze in the distance. I'd seen a stray cat meow and cruise about the side of the house where the horses were kept in outdoor stalls. All things I'm sure Dream had seen a thousand times before. Dream.

He hadn't left my mind since last night, he was linked to nearly every thought. If the voices were hornets, he was the small unfortunate insect they feasted upon. He was their fuel and fire, their reason for living in a way. When he was near they were quiet, content, when he was absent they were restless and needy.  On top of all the worries I'd had about today, about the election, Schlatt's strange demeanour, Wilbur's health which seemed to be declining and about the voices, he was right in the middle of it all attracting the most attention. 

I sighed and leant back on my elbows letting my lower legs hang off the edge of the porch. The crisp morning air was refreshing and grounding, a place to become centred. That's what I needed to be today. Centred, grounded and ready for anything. I knew Tommy and Wilbur had massive support but so did the SWAG party. 

"Hey what are you doing out here?" I heard a familiar voice say and the door into the house click shut. 
"Thinking," I answered automatically, I knew exactly who was behind me. 
"Can I ask what about?" my stomach automatically flipped when I looked up to meet the gaze of two bright green eyes. 
"It's complicated," I said with a shrug and faced back to the open field. 
"If you say so," Dream said nonchalantly and sat beside me. 
"Were you playing the guitar?"
"I didn't actually use it at all, I just brought it out in case I wanted to use it, just no inspiration today." He hummed in reply. 
"I need to talk to you about today," he said. 
"What's up?" he sounded nervous.
"I need you to keep this walkie talkie on you at all times, I rigged it so the signal will go for miles and miles. You shouldn't lose connection with me at any time." Dream explained and then handed me a black walkie talkie.  
"Why do I need this?"
"I just have a bad feeling, trust me?" 
"Of course," I pocketed the walkie talkie. 
"We need to leave soon if we want to make it on time, we'll ride there for the extra speed. You can take Spirit again since she liked you so much." Dream finished and then slipped back inside, I followed close behind and went to my room to change.