Part 29: The Final Boss

It seemed to go on forever.

The green mist uplifted now that the curse had been broken. And Bigby could now see a colossal, grey palace-like mansion getting nearer and nearer towards him. He gritted his teeth.

This was it.

They walked in silence until they arrived. Bigby grasped one of the fancy ornate gates, shaking it frustratedly, scowling into the neat garden within it. There was a stone fountain and expensive looking white table and chairs.

"How the fuck do we get in?" Bigby growled, pulling and kicking at the gate bars.

Woody spotted a blended-in padlock, lifted his axe from his back and swung at it so the padlock fell clean off. He tried opening it, but the gates still wouldn't budge. "Stand back," he urged Holly, and Gren and Bigby went to stand by his side.

"Three ... Two ..."

Simultaneously, the three of them kicked the gate as hard as they could and there was a quick screech as the gates flew open.

"Charming really wanted to keep this place locked up," Gren commented as they slowly walked inside the garden.

Bigby turned to the four of them: Holly, Woody and Gren. The people he could call friends and the people who had stood by him throughout.

The last thing he wanted was to lose anyone else.

"I want you all to stay here," Bigby told them all.

They all looked at him with shocked expressions.

"But-" Holly began.

"I don't know what Charming is going to pull," Bigby explained. "He knows we're here. He knows I'm about to kick his fucking door down any second and tear out his throat with my bare teeth. So he'll be ready and he'll be dangerous."

"Biggs... It's only Prince Charming," Gren said, still not fully understanding.

"That's exactly it," Bigby said. He peered at them all, pleadingly and seriously, and they all nodded.

Bigby turned and stormed to the ruby red door patterned with swirly gold. This whole place didn't look real; it just looked like a fairytale palace you'd get in a movie. Although it looked nice, it was nothing but a prison for Snow.

He sniffed the air. And there it was: her smell.

She's calling for me.

He slammed the door open with his foot and walked slowly inside. He was straightaway in a large, pure room with furry gold rugs, huge red leather sofas, glass cabinets and china everywhere.

He could just imagine Prince Charming bossing Snow around, making her clean the place everyday.

He raised his voice to an angry bellow:

"SNOW?"

Silence.

Getting even more angry, Bigby immediately went for the winded, golden stairs. His footsteps were loud and threatening, loud enough for anyone to hear. If Charming did hear, he was staying silent.

So was Snow.

He thought of the others, anxious and fidgeting, waiting in the garden.

"This is stupid." Gren would be complaining. "We need to go in there and have his back like a fucking friend should."

"No, Gren," Holly would tell him. "This is something Bigby has to do himself. It's  his final showdown - I understand that."

"Charming, show your fucking face!" Bigby yelled.