Part 30: Sealed with the Truth

3 weeks later

The air felt cool on Bigby's face as he sank in the view in front of him. His wound had almost healed; there was now just faded purple and red colouring his stomach. Holly's senetrating skills hadn't been the best, but nevertheless he was grateful to her.

Bigby turned his head to look at Snow. She looked back, equally as fondly.

"I guess we'll be starting work again tomorrow," she said.

Bigby opened his mouth and closed it again. Shit ... About that ...

He knew he should tell her the truth about what happened and that he wasn't going to be starting his job again anytime soon. He should tell her before she finds out any other way.

He focused his attention on the purple and red bruises on Snow's arms and wrists instead.

"I would rip that asshole's head off his neck all over again for hurting you," Bigby growled, lighting a Huff n Puff.

Snow was watching him carefully. He hadn't mentioned work or anything Fabletown-related, which was slightly weird. There was also a strange look in his eyes and she noticed he wasn't catching her eyes properly. Why was he acting so weird?

He's probably still feeling unwell, Snow told herself.

She edged closer to Bigby and tucked her arm into his armpit, looking around appreciatively at the green meadow where they both stood. It was the most beautiful moment she didn't want to spoil by saying something that would set Bigby off.

"Snow." Bigby's voice was suddenly serious.

"Mmm?" Snow said dreamily.

He gently placed her arm away and took a step back, lifting up her chin so her blue eyes stared into his earnest, brown ones.

"There's something you should know," Bigby said quietly.

A prickle of warning tingled down Snow's spine like an electric current.

"Okay," she said uneasily.

"I ... I can't be here anymore," he told her, looking away. Snow didn't understand. "I'm banishing myself."

"What? Why?" Snow whispered. How did this escalate so quickly?

"I did some things I regret," Bigby said. "When Charming took you ... I ... I was screwed up and I couldn't control myself ... And then one night things got out of hand."

He saw that Snow was trembling. He took a peek at her. She was staring straight ahead, pressing her lips together and her eyelids started to flutter. "What did you do?" she whispered without looking at him.

Bigby bowed his head in a slight, sad motion.

"Tell me." Snow's voice was rock hard.

"I ..." Bigby stammered. "I killed ..." Snow gave a little gasp. "Mundies. Five of them. I -"

But Snow was already stepping away from him, shaking her head hard so that her neck clicked, not looking at him as if his appearance both ashamed and terrified her.

"Snow," Bigby said. "Say something."

"I - I need to go," she said expressionlessly.

She ran away from him. Bigby didn't try and stop her. He felt into his trousers pocket, bought out a little leather box, opened it and peered sadly at the perfect, diamond ring that lay in its velvet bedding.

Hehehe ....

Please forgive me ....

Anyway I hope you guys enjoyed this story, I had so much fun writing it and a MASSIVE thank you to all of you and your support , it was what made this story so fun to write ^_^ XX ❤️