Part 11: The Hunt

Bigby couldn't force himself to go back to the business office and make peace with Snow. Instead he went to the hospital to track down Gren. He wasn't interested if the miserable asshole was okay or not, he just wanted to track a lead to Prince Charming's sorry ass.

"I'm here to see Grendal," he barked at the receptionist at the hospital.

"Oh yes, wait a second..." She peered at the register. "Room number 6," she said and Bigby marched down the corridor.

He opened the door to Grendal's room and stepped inside, closing it behind him. Grendal was sitting up on the bed, looking pale and scrawny even though there was still a demonic glint in his only eye. The other eye which was torn out by Bigby was replaced with an empty black socket. He also had a robotic arm.

Grendal didn't even look up. "Hey Sheriff," he said. "If you want to finish me off, just do it."

Bigby was fuming, but surprisingly not a lot of his anger was directed at Grendal. Calmly, he said, "why did you do it, Gren?"

Gren shrugged.

"I guess it was just for the money," he said. "Though I knew I had no hope in hell of killing you. You ripped my fuckin' arm off, and now my eye."

"You asked for it."

He shrugged again.

"Why did Prince Charming pay you to kill me?"

Grendal looked up to meet Bigby's stern eyes. "That, I have no fuckin' idea," he said, and he sounded sincere for once. "You'd think he'd tell us? It was a deal that was sorted in a second."

Bigby sighed and rubbed his temple. "You seriously have no idea where he went?"

"Nope."

Fuck... Bigby swore under his breath. "Thanks," he muttered, and went to open the door.

"Take it easy, Sheriff," Gren said quietly so that Bigby only just about heard.

Bigby paused for a second. Then he exited out of the hospital. As he walked down the pavement, lighting a cigarette, he wondered what the hell he was going to do next.

Make peace with Snow? It had been bugging him all day. Perhaps he should.

Suddenly, out of the corner of his eye, he saw a familiar man with shiny black hair getting out of a taxi down the road. Bigby tensed. The man turned, and spotted Bigby. They took a second to stare at each other with narrowed eyes.

Then the man took off.

"Hey! HEY!" Bigby yelled, immediately dropping his cigarette and tearing after him.