Part 7: Heartbreaks and Mistakes

Woo! Double update! :D

2 weeks later

"Miss White?" Bufkin swooped down to land on her desk, looking at her anxiously. For the past 2 weeks Snow had been like a ghost; distant and silent and pale. She had lost weight and had permanent purple bags under her eyes.

"Mmm?" Snow mumbled.

"Do you want to take a break and I'll take the calls?" Bufkin offered.

"That'll be great," Snow muttered, getting out of her chair and drifting to the door.

The only phone call she wanted to hear from was Doctor Swinehart.

But it was obvious that wasn't going to happen.

No one had seen a glimpse of Prince Charming ever since the accident, but Snow had given up looking.

She just wanted Bigby back.

As she fitted the keys clumsily into the lock, her hands numb from shaking so much, and opened the door, she suddenly stopped when a pair of soft brown eyes were staring at her.

"Hello Snow."

Snow dropped her keys.

"Bigby?!"

She didn't waste no time to hurl herself into his arms, wrapping her arms tightly around his neck. Tears leaked out of her eyelids - but this time they were tears of joy.

"You - how - what - how did you get into my apartment?" Snow mumbled into his shoulder.

Suddenly sheepish, Bigby stepped back and scratched his hair. "I ... Uh -"

"You didn't break in?" Snow exploded, but she was smiling.

"Your window was open," Bigby said, shifting his foot. Snow couldn't contain how adorable he looked right now, although he also looked thin and pale and tired, his neck all bandaged.

"I thought you were going to die," Snow whispered. Her hand came to rest gently on his arm.

"I'd never leave you, Snow. You know that," Bigby said. He tilted her chin up gently so that her glassy blue eyes met his. They didn't know who started it, but within a second their lips connected with each other's, tentatively, softly - but without the cockblock from Colin this time. Snow timidly placed her hands on Bigby's broad shoulders, wanting to simultaneously pull him closer and push him away.

"Bigby ..." Snow tried to talk but it came out as a indistinct whine. Everytime she tried to stop her body would do the opposite. Bigby slightly deepened the kiss, his claws digging into Snow's back.

"I love you, Snow," he whispered, his voice growly and husky. "And have since the first day I laid eyes on you."

Snow felt her insides light up like a campfire. She didn't know if it was wrong or right, but she wanted Bigby as well ... enormously. But what would this mean? They would be together? They'd be a couple now? What would Fabletown think? Was Snow even ready for this?

"Bigby." Snow turned her head away from his. "I'm sorry. I can't."

She felt terrible when she saw the hurt in his eyes as he stepped away from her.

"I'm sorry," Bigby said. "I don't know what came over me."

Snow felt like crying again. Goddammit, Miss White, what have you done? "Bigby -"

"I suppose you're just too busy worrying about what people will think of you after this," Bigby bit out, suddenly harsh. "It's only your reputation that matters, isn't it?"

Snow staggered back, shocked. "No, it's not - I don't want - I -"

"Save it," Bigby snarled. "I knew it wouldn't last, as long as business comes first."

"That's not what I -"

But Bigby had already left her apartment.

Letting the devastation wash over her, Snow sunk to her knees and buried her face into her hands. She had just got Bigby back - and lost him again.

*

"Fuck!" Bigby exploded, flipping the table over through fury and frustration.

He didn't know who he was more angry at; Charming for almost killing him two weeks ago, Snow for rejecting him because of fucking business, and himself for confessing to her like that when of course she wouldn't be ready. He just fucking wanted her too much ... He couldn't get over her. She was harsh, cold, but also strong, indepedant and compassionate and he loved it when he sensed her happy mood and saw her smile. He loved her addicting scent. He wanted to be the one to make her smile again and fix the damage her past had done her.

Why couldn't she just let him look after her?

Someone started knocking on his door.

"Fuck off!" Bigby roared.

The knocking carried on persistently. Bigby let out an infuriated sigh and opened the door with a violent swing. Nerissa stepped back in fear.

"Nerissa -" Bigby said, his anger suddenly fading at the sight of her gentle amber eyes.

"Are you okay?" Nerissa asked anxiously.

"Yeah, yeah," he grunted.

"Can I come in?"

Reluctantly, he allowed her inside his apartment. She looked at the broken table but didn't say anything. Bigby sat down heavily on the sofa and Nerissa joined him. She gazed at him sadly, wishing she could make him happy.

"What's wrong, Sheriff?" she softly asked.

"Everything I do is never enough," Bigby said bitterly, which was true enough.

"Tell me about it," Nerissa sighed. She wanted put her arms around him so badly but restrained.

"Especially not for Snow. I thought ... It was fucking stupid but I thought we had something."

Nerissa felt her teeth grind together. You don't need her, Bigby, she's a bitch. I'd be better for you...

"She ..." Bigby was cut off with shock as Nerissa suddenly scrambled onto his lap. "Ssh, it's okay," she whispered, raking her fingers through his brown locks. Bigby closed his eyes; it felt good.

"What are you doing?" he mumbled.

"What does it look like I'm doing?" she asked and pressed her lips against his. At first Bigby stiffened, refusing to let her tongue part his lips. Then he thought about Snow. It wasn't as if she wanted him anyway. He already knew he had no chance with her. Nerissa obviously cared about him much more than she ever will.

"Fuck it," he growled and met Nerissa's demanding tongue with his, his hands going to unbutton her top.